Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what i would need to do to change my grille on my mk3 tina it currently has the squar lights and grill and i want to put the quad light and grille on. (gxl grille)

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Basicly change the headlight panel thats behind the grill to the quad lamp version.
lights,grill etc.

simple really?.

might be another story getting the bits?.... unless you already have them of course.

Sid.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeh, i though that was what i mite have to do, im going to be going round scrap yards to see if i can find the metal plates for the quads. i dont like the restangle lights they look ugly on a cortina mk3, why ford why did you do this

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
i was thinking that but dont they need a dipping system?
thats done in the light units mate.

firstly you need to get hold of the parts, that i believe is the hard bit.
the rest will become clear once you compare the two.

have you looked into parts availability?.

Sid.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i found a set of raplacement lights on ebay.--http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-Mk3-5-3-4-Sealed-Beam-Halogen-Conversion-Headlight-Kit-Bulbs-/270822874303?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0e4d1cbf

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was goig to suggest Capri lights. Also BMW are a good donor as you'll get a proper halogen headlight not a sealed beam. I had stock quads in my old XL and they were weak. The Capri ones aren't a lot better. Older (but not too old) BMW headlights should be a scrapyard alternative to an eBay H4 conversion.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
I was goig to suggest Capri lights. Also BMW are a good donor as you'll get a proper halogen headlight not a sealed beam. I had stock quads in my old XL and they were weak. The Capri ones aren't a lot better. Older (but not too old) BMW headlights should be a scrapyard alternative to an eBay H4 conversion.
Hi alistair,

The MK3 Capri lights are halogen anyway and also have the sidelight in them, they work quite well, just they have the flat glass rather than the domed ones you get on sealed beams.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Hi I have converted several mk3's to gxl quad headlights over the years any 5 3/4" headlights will do as long as they are a set and 1 pair have sidelights, the job is however LOADS easier if you get the relay and wiring harness from a scrap or donor vehicle as it is then pretty much a plug and play set up, any wiring plan you may need is in the haynes (or equivalent ) manual. To change the whole lights backing plates grille and wiring is a couple of hours give or take a cup of tea :tup: good luck and yep they look loads better than the awful rectangular units

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers for the help guys, so capri plates will macht up to the gxl grille? and if anyone has a front clip with the gxl grille and paltes they would like to sell that would be great, i plan to do the swap in april time when i have all the engine bay out as for the rebuild and the engine bay painting so i shall do it then. i shall put a wanted add up next month.

·
Premium Member
14,682 Posts
if the capri light spacing is wrong just cut the backplates and widen or narrow the spacing to suit the grill.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thought i would have to do that, cheers i shall look out for some,
anyone know how hard it will be for wiring or do i just need to use the excisiting lights wires and just connect them up to the new lamps.

·
Premium Member
14,682 Posts
won'y hurt to add relays to power the inners (at least, if not all) so you don't over tax the light switch. its not like they're available from ford any more. :tup:

·
Premium Member
14,682 Posts
basically its a switch. your light switch switches the relay on allowing a higher current to pass to the item you are turning on. so the light switch doesn't burn out 'cos its overloaded by the extra/higher wattage lights you use over stock. a heavy wire from a fused live goes to the relay and then to the item you're powering. the stock switch turns the relay on only. think that makes sense. :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
If I remember correctly you must have a relay connected to protect the lower rated wiring/ switch unit get hold of a wiring diagram and it is straight forward stuff really. The original cortina relay had a little bracket fitted to it that bolted to the inner wing but other than that it was just a run of the mill 4 connection relay

1 - 20 of 25 Posts