Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the 'ranting' seems to be getting more frequent, i've stepped up my efforts to get some coding done and implemented a couple of changes.

1) There is to be an enforced 5 day period between bumping threads. This is now handled by the software which will merge posts within a thread made by a single user during the 5 day period. This won't affect responses to questions etc. but will avoid some of the needless bumping. We're fully aware that there are methods of getting around this however as a result there will be a punishment for those wanting to play smart arse. People involved in bypassing the rules to bump ads will be temporarily blocked from accessing the classifieds area as and when caught. No amount of pissing & moaning will be tolerated from anyone punished for doing so. Simple really, don't do it. If no-one responds to your thread then there's often a reason behind it. Either a few people have been inconsiderate and bumped your thread off the page or people just aren't interested. Hopefully we've not dropped that down to one reason :tup:

2) Users will be restricted to posting only 2 new threads within a 36 hour rolling window in each of the classifieds section. This is to try and avoid having a single user hogging the 1st page with multiple items when they could have easily been grouped into a single thread. Use your posts wisely as this is strictly enforced. This is also implemented as a 'live trial'. We may find that this actually has a negative impact on the site that requires it's removal. If this is the case then all we can do is say we tried ;)

We would appreciate your feedback on these implementations, specifically the 2nd one.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
No.2 sounds fair to me. Being a bit thick, if you put an ad on, then left it 2 days then put another ad on does it place it into the first ad? if it does, is there a point in no.2?

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Keith,

Nope, it doesn't work like that. No. 1 doesn't carry across threads. It's only active within threads individually.

This *might* explain it a bit better.

I start 2 ads in the for sale section.
One is for car related stuff and one is for knitting patterns so we agree that these would be better in separate threads rather than combined.
The following day I find a steering rack in the shed so decide to flog that as well on a new advert.
When I go to add a new advert I get a message telling me that i've used up the allowance for the 3 day period and that I'll have to wait or combine it with an existing ad. (**modification no. 2**)
I decide to put the rack in with my other car related ad thinking that if I add it on to the end then it'll also bump the ad back to the top.
As I was the last person to post on my advert, and it's within the 5 days, when I submit the new post with the steering rack info it automagically gets merged into my last post on that advert. (**modification no. 1**)

Does that help ?

[EDIT]
By the way, mod no 2 is forum specific so it will allow 2 threads PER forum within the 3 days but covers the 4 sales & wanteds.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
first dibs on the knitting patterns?...

Sid.

·
richard rawlplug
8,098 Posts
bump....:incheek:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
So, if I find that really rare, hard to find bit in the garage tonight, and I try to stick a new ad up, it automatically goes onto the end of the ad I already have on (which is on page 2) and it doesn't get read (because it's on page 2) I have to wait for a week and do another ad???

Hmm, ok then... :beuj:

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Yes thanks Si, it's a shame you have to be bothered with this kind of thing really, but I've got to admit it's only a few selfish people. I saw last week someone bump his ad up 3 or 4 times in one day.
This site has a good bunch on it and although you /mods have to get involved [very seldom] I believe most people police themselves on here
just my two pence worth

Hi Keith,

Nope, it doesn't work like that. No. 1 doesn't carry across threads. It's only active within threads individually.

This *might* explain it a bit better.

I start 2 ads in the for sale section.
One is for car related stuff and one is for knitting patterns so we agree that these would be better in separate threads rather than combined.
The following day I find a steering rack in the shed so decide to flog that as well on a new advert.
When I go to add a new advert I get a message telling me that i've used up the allowance for the 3 day period and that I'll have to wait or combine it with an existing ad. (**modification no. 2**)
I decide to put the rack in with my other car related ad thinking that if I add it on to the end then it'll also bump the ad back to the top.
As I was the last person to post on my advert, and it's within the 5 days, when I submit the new post with the steering rack info it automagically gets merged into my last post on that advert. (**modification no. 1**)

Does that help ?

[EDIT]
By the way, mod no 2 is forum specific so it will allow 2 threads PER forum within the 3 days but covers the 4 sales & wanteds.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Just a thought , and a hindsight thought, but maybe a temporary separate section entitled "swap meet for sale only" that all those selling could sell on and all those going to the meet could buy on then remove it after ?
We could then browse the for sale section without it being full of "sold at the meet" stuff ?

I know it is hindsight but maybe for the next one ?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Great idea.
Shame when rules have to be brought in,but it was getting carried away with bumping and multi ads.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, if I find that really rare, hard to find bit in the garage tonight, and I try to stick a new ad up, it automatically goes onto the end of the ad I already have on (which is on page 2) and it doesn't get read (because it's on page 2) I have to wait for a week and do another ad???

Hmm, ok then... :beuj:
Nope Guy, nothing like that at all really.
Re-read the description in post 1 and the example.

If you had 2 ads already within the 36 hour window you wouldn't be able to place another until the 1st was at least 36 hours old. The only part that merges a post on the end of another one is where people try to bump posts within the 5 day (not a week) period.

If you look at the Stuff for sale section you can see that the items on the front page are generally threads that have been active in the last 24 hours. Based on that, if your ad was less than 24 hours old it'd still be on page 1 so you could tag it on the end of there and at worst you'd have 2 days to wait if it REALLY REALLY needed a thread all of it's own.

If it were older than 24 hours then you could be on page 2 or 3 (which people still look at) so you could tag it on to that advert or be patient and wait the additional day or so for the 36 hour period to be up so it can have a thread of it's own.

Don't forget though, the scenarios above are only talking about a single advert waiting to go past the 36 hour window. What about the other one ? Yep, that's 2 separate threads within that time period so it either means that you've still got a spare ad posting that you can use anyway or you've already used that one up as well and you really ought to be thinking about the best way to stick your stuff up for sale.
If you've got a super rare part that you've just found and want to sell then it's still going to be super rare in a couple of days.

The only people rule 2 is going to realistically affect are the following :-
People who want to post more than 2 items for sale (or wanted) within a 3 day period but can't bear the thought of them having to share a single thread under a collective title.
People using the classifieds as a main trading area for their business (they should be in the traders section).
People who list things for sale as and when they find them as opposed to finding a load of bits and then putting them on together. If you're finding and selling them that often then it looks a little like you're trading anyway.

The people that rule 1 is going to affect are the following :-
People who post an ad in the morning and then bump it again in the evening because it's not at the top of the page or those who try and bump the thread every day or so (within 5 days) thinking it's going to get more interest.
People who badly plan the listing of items for sale (or wanted) and have to tag onto a thread that's maybe slipped off the first page rather than wait a day or so for a fresh thread.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a thought , and a hindsight thought, but maybe a temporary separate section entitled "swap meet for sale only" that all those selling could sell on and all those going to the meet could buy on then remove it after ?
We could then browse the for sale section without it being full of "sold at the meet" stuff ?

I know it is hindsight but maybe for the next one ?
Funny you should mention that actually as I had the same idea last night/this morning when I was working on this.

It was too late for this one but yep, for the next one I'll more than likely be opening a section specifically for pre-swap meet trading. Maybe a couple of weeks or so in advance :tup:

·
Nowheresville
3,024 Posts
I wasn't aware of this until the other day when I added some photos to an ad. I like the idea, and it will make a fairer playing field for all.

Couple of questions:
1) Is the 5-day rule based on calender days, i.e. 1st March ad can be bumped any time on 6th March, or 120 hours, i.e. 11:00pm ad on 1st March has to wait until 11:01pm on 6th March?
2)If you have (inadvertantly :roll:) bumped an ad within 5 days, and been merged, can you still legally bump it 5 days from the ad being placed?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts