Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i'm new to the scene

what books can people reccomend me as far as building a chassis from scratch goes

as i would like to have ago at a hotrod project this summer

i know some about it and ive read abit into it

but nothing with hard numbers and angles or how bigger Z/kick up to have in the rear and stuff like that

someone should write a book called

"how to build a british hotrod" as in viva front n jag rears and stuff like that using all english parts and have builds of a ford pop or prefect and model Y's featured in there

any book info would be great or websites to look at for like guides

and not a book that lightly touches on suspension and thne moves onto air ride and crap like that i mean like hard numbers and facts

any help would be great

mattt

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You are not going to get a book with hard facts and numbers because there are so many variables. You need to do your homework.
Some say a chassis is the foundation of a project and must be first to be planned, others say that a chassis is just a frame to hold all the important bits in the right place....basically both are right.

If it's a scratch build here is what I do...

Get body, get wheels and tyres you will be using, get front and rear ends you will be using. Set body at ride height you want. Set wheels and tyres at wheelbase and track that you want. Start measuring.
With a stack of measurements you can then see if your chosen suspension units need narrowed or not.
Sit them at the centre of there travel in the right location and then start to plan a frame thatwill hold it all where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
7,424 Posts
hi matt
theres a few suspension and chassis books on the market.which ones you need
will depend what style of car you want and what you want it to do.
none give any dimentions/hard measurements but they will give you an understanding of how you can design and make youre own suspension work.
its probably better to follow build threads on forums like this,for chassis designs.
theres no hard rules as to how you build it.
measurements ect depend on what car youre going to build/how youre going to build it/engine combo/wheel choice ect ect ect.
some good basic how to,s on the ukhotrods site.
not sure i understand youre crap coment about air suspension.
have that on one of our cars here.
bit more modern and less retarded:incheek: than putting a 40 year old viva front end on but each to his own.
same with rears.
you dont have to go with a jag.
plenty of other options out there,ford,lexus,merc.bmw.

not sure if a book about building pops ect like you described would be a good thing.
surely more enjoyable problem solving yourself than building by numbers.
and id like to think car buildings come on from the jag/viva set up.

so what car are you going to build.pics always go down well

wayne

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so maybe i should start buying components

and read some more stuff online

but is there not a common guideline that people follow? to get the basics right? with Zing and frame rail lenghts?

also i'm interested in running a beam axle setup up front can anyone recommend some to me?

i've heard things about sherpa axles? what other ones are easy to find/come by in england and aren't costly like a model a axle

and in case anyone is wondering i'd rather ask questions and seem stupid than waste money on crap / dangerous setups

mattt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi matt
theres a few suspension and chassis books on the market.which ones you need
will depend what style of car you want and what you want it to do.
none give any dimentions/hard measurements but they will give you an understanding of how you can design and make youre own suspension work.
its probably better to follow build threads on forums like this,for chassis designs.
theres no hard rules as to how you build it.
measurements ect depend on what car youre going to build/how youre going to build it/engine combo/wheel choice ect ect ect.
some good basic how to,s on the ukhotrods site.
not sure i understand youre crap coment about air suspension.
have that on one of our cars here.
bit more modern and less retarded:incheek: than putting a 40 year old viva front end on but each to his own.
same with rears.
you dont have to go with a jag.
plenty of other options out there,ford,lexus,merc.bmw.

not sure if a book about building pops ect like you described would be a good thing.
surely more enjoyable problem solving yourself than building by numbers.
and id like to think car buildings come on from the jag/viva set up.

so what car are you going to build.pics always go down well

wayne
hi i wasn't knocking air ride and stuff like that i think there great and love all that

but there abit out of my reach budgetwise

and yeah sorry i was only mentioning viva and jag setups as there thrown about all over the place and almost everywhere i look

and people i know are all running setups of the like

and thanks

i'll have alook at some build threads on said website :tup:

·
Premium Member
7,424 Posts
most common guideline is two chassis rails running the lenght of the car.

kick ups and the like depend again once more on the components you want to use and the ride height you want.
as ross stated above.
plonk body at ride height.
put wheels and engine where you want it then build everything else to suit

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
most common guideline is two chassis rails running the lenght of the car.

kick ups and the like depend again once more on the components you want to use and the ride height you want.
as ross stated above.
plonk body at ride height.
put wheels and engine where you want it then build everything else to suit
yeah i get the 2 frame rail part :p

i'm studying level 2 mechanics at college at the moment i seem to be the only one who likes classics and rods there

everyone talks about there banging corsa's and saxo's lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers pal i'll see what i can do...

o and nobody i'm just looking at the mini build in the garage section

love it

i've got a mini :cool: would love to get a v8 in there one day :D

·
I'm a Lowrider !
239 Posts
Build yourself an adjustable table out of 1/4 plate steel that you can adjust to be 100% level in all planes, measure your body and mark your datum points so you can sit your front and rear axles in the Center of your arches in alignment with each other, set the pinion angle then Weld mounts to the table and to your axles and you've started your jig. Make the chassis crossmembers then start on your rails.

there simple. :tup:

sounds simple eh ? but dont over simply this as your life will depend on it one day you need angle finders and what not and TIME you wont get it from a book Level 2 is no where near enough alone, you need level 100 reallife, to get there you need to mess up a few times.

Start now, and dont ever look back.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Go on Amazon and buy a book called Chassis Engineering, shouldn't be more thana tenner, lots of info, read the whole book cover to cover and you'll see how everything is interlinked in it's desidn and operation. It isn't just a case of knocking up a ladder frame and welding suspenion to it, but it's not that complicated once you know what you need to account for and the key measurements and geometry that ultimatly will dictate the design on the chassis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Build yourself an adjustable table out of 1/4 plate steel that you can adjust to be 100% level in all planes, measure your body and mark your datum points so you can sit your front and rear axles in the Center of your arches in alignment with each other, set the pinion angle then Weld mounts to the table and to your axles and you've started your jig. Make the chassis crossmembers then start on your rails.

there simple. :tup:

sounds simple eh ? but dont over simply this as your life will depend on it one day you need angle finders and what not and TIME you wont get it from a book Level 2 is no where near enough alone, you need level 100 reallife, to get there you need to mess up a few times.

Start now, and dont ever look back.
thanks for the advice man

and i plan to jump right in soon enough

o and i see your a lowrider man

i've made a few chainlink steering wheels for some lowrider guys in london

think i might be making a few more for some other people in a guys car club in the near future

i would love to run some wire wheels on my mini

maybe a kinda chrome and blue i dunno tho

as my car runs 13's it would look sweet

do you know any one who makes hub adapters mate?

mattt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go on Amazon and buy a book called Chassis Engineering, shouldn't be more thana tenner, lots of info, read the whole book cover to cover and you'll see how everything is interlinked in it's desidn and operation. It isn't just a case of knocking up a ladder frame and welding suspenion to it, but it's not that complicated once you know what you need to account for and the key measurements and geometry that ultimatly will dictate the design on the chassis.
yeah i know alot of people just plow into builds and i know alot of people get them very wrong (seen alot of failed builds on youtube that dont admitt to it being wrong but you can see it will never work lol)

and this is why i was asking for some sort of book

i'd say this is the book your talking about...

Amazon.com: Chassis Engineering HP1055 (0075478010554): Herb Adams: Books

i will buy it and read it before i start

and yeah i'll make a table to build the frame on

and i'll get all the components 1st before i start

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
yeah i know alot of people just plow into builds and i know alot of people get them very wrong (seen alot of failed builds on youtube that dont admitt to it being wrong but you can see it will never work lol)

and this is why i was asking for some sort of book

i'd say this is the book your talking about...

Amazon.com: Chassis Engineering HP1055 (0075478010554): Herb Adams: Books

i will buy it and read it before i start

and yeah i'll make a table to build the frame on

and i'll get all the components 1st before i start
yep thats the one, lots of references to US circle racing but theres enough generic info in there for you to make some informed decisions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts