Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me who built this chassis as i bought it from bath and was told it was built in tyneside some were

·
Registered
935 Posts
TEESSIDE

That was my cousins Pop. Renowned dragracer Mark Flavell built the main chassis (the red oxide bits) then I think my young cousin added the bulkhead and 'A' pillar bits. I then put in the front tubes and got the front suspension and steering finished. Like so...........

The struts were very short Leda's which now belong to Ben with the ex Flavell pink Pop dragracer. The body was my Dads old car, we owned it since 1984, the project was progressing well but he parted it out to buy his first house.

Hope this helps, If you need to know anything else please ask.
Dave

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
One of the great things about this site :tup:

You can put up a vague picture of a chassis and a rough location of where it MAY have come from.

5 hours later and all is revealed :D

·
fat rotbox rodder
5,805 Posts
were the bonnet grill and wings of geoff meads car? as the paint job looks simular

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
were the bonnet grill and wings of geoff meads car? as the paint job looks simular
I wondered that too. No headlamp mounting holes though.

Also am I right in thinking that the shell was Graham Young's old two tone blue car from way back? I have this vague recollection of a build thread ages ago and I know the last time I saw that car in one piece, it was dark blue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks dave i would like to ask a few can you tell me what the bottom ball joints are and as for the struts how long were they i dont think the steering rack is the same one in the pic as the rack i have on it dosn,t seem the same one as it has not been sleeved this my disapoint you but when i bought the chassis the body was still on it but in a sorry state the roof chop was a good job but whoever repaired it after that cut big lumps out of the roof near the rain channel and in stead of letting the steel in they had lap gas welded metal on and then put on 25mm of filler it was either left outside or under a sheet for a while and was like a sive

do you think the struts mite be for resale regards martin

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hurtz - They are indeed Jeff Meads original front panels complete with damage from that enormous wheelie he did in the states. The headlamp dimples are there just hard to see in the pics.

40 stude - Yes this was the shell of Graeme Youngs car, some of it is still mine and will be seen again;)

Martin - I do not blame you for cutting up that shell, there is a good reason why I didn't want it but took another shell instead despite it being my late dads car. It had suffered neglect and been victim to some truely monstrous workmanship.:shock:

Dave Mc

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
40 stude - Yes this was the shell of Graeme Youngs car, some of it is still mine and will be seen again;)

Dave Mc
Sad to see but I would love to know what you still have. I'm just glad I wasn't imagining it. The last time I saw the car was at the Hot Rod Drags, camped up by the trackside when the pits were on the far side of the strip. I guess that was your Dad I spoke to then, I recognised the numberplate and we had a chat. Ain't it weird how things come full circle?
I could be really anal and say you may have had a folding caravan at the time but that could have been someone else with a Pop. I've spent way too much time with several neer do wells on here that I'm lucky I remember the cars!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sad to see but I would love to know what you still have. I'm just glad I wasn't imagining it. The last time I saw the car was at the Hot Rod Drags, camped up by the trackside when the pits were on the far side of the strip. I guess that was your Dad I spoke to then, I recognised the numberplate and we had a chat. Ain't it weird how things come full circle?
I could be really anal and say you may have had a folding caravan at the time but that could have been someone else with a Pop. I've spent way too much time with several neer do wells on here that I'm lucky I remember the cars!
Yes that would have been me and my Dad. I remember camping right level with the finishline and had a fancy early trailer tent. That's one hell of a memory, I'm the same with hotrodding stuff but can't remember fuck all that I need to:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Yes that would have been me and my Dad. I remember camping right level with the finishline and had a fancy early trailer tent. That's one hell of a memory, I'm the same with hotrodding stuff but can't remember fuck all that I need to:lol:
Cool, by the quarter would have been right. Sorry to hear your Dad has passed, he obviously had a huge influence on you. Strange to think that we've exchanged words over the last few years (I know your car but you may not know me) and the connection was never made. I always camp at the drags with Graham's Brother Ian and his son Phil, we all, Graham included go back a long way. I'll catch you at the drags next year.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
comeon ladsthis is my thread bugger off:shake:
I do hope that the above comment is made in jest, but don't see a smiley to the that effect.:incheek: Give the guys some slack, as you've been very fortunate to get the info you needed so quickly & some of those giving you the info are catching up on old times relating to your car :tup:

cheers...Nige

ps I see you've since added lol, that's better :tup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts