Whilst the body and chassis are waiting for their matrimony I thought I'd have a dabble at the dashboard:
It's a stock, steel '38 dash.
The car was always going to be LHD, so my initial thought was to just fill all of the holes and leave it smooth, ready to add the dials on the 'new' drivers side, but part-way through this process I decided that it would be nice to have a glovebox to put all of the fuses etc into.
So here we have it. The slots in the bottom are for the wiring to pass through, there is also a slot at the top just in case there is no room to turn the wires.
It's customary in my builds to use some domestic appliance somewhere in the build (my first drag car had steel from a tumble drier, my 105E Anglia had the engine bulkhead made from washing machine sides and my last car the dash was made from steel taken from an old cooker), so the mods on this one are made from a fire surround :shake:
Back at the rear axle, I realised I needed a rear lower tie-bracket to hold the two wishbone pivots together, so after a bit of head-scratching, cutting, drilling and grinding I ended up with these parts:
Which after welding together looked like this:
It's now a 4-function bracket:
1) It ties the wishbone pivots together and wraps underneath to pick up the bolt-holes on the underside of the pivot brackets.
2) The large aluminium boss in the middle is the parachute pick-up.
3) The two circular brackets on either end are for tie-downs to be hooked to (it will undoubtedly spend some of its time on a trailer).
4) it will provide a strong jacking point.
New rear arches, about 3" wider than stock. Arrived at the weekend.
Whilst I was trying on the new panels I thought I'd snap a few pics:
In the last one you can see a couple of gauges hanging underneath, these are Lucas gauges, probably fitted to the car in the 70's judging by the 'Lucas' logo.
Hey I'll need gauges! Pulled them off and tested them (they are both capillary gauges) and they work fine, so here's the 'before restoration' photo:
It doesnt really matter what they're scaled in, as long as you know what to expect to see. I was once told to set all the gauges in my drag car so that the needles would be pointing upwards under normal race conditions - it's easy to see if a needle has moved from vertical but you don't need to try to work it out against the numbers, especially important in such a short race.
I love the Blairs Anglia too, and I'm really rather jealous of all the scores you keep having with parts!
I wasn't suggesting that scaling mattered, just interested what use they were intended for. On my car I have the rev counter rotated so that the red-line is uppermost and it is the ONE thing that always generates questions from bystanders!
Cut holes for the gauges today. The pattern echoes the original pattern that was on the other side.
Small gauges are the 'restored' ones. Tacho is an old Stewart Warner $10 score from a swap meet. Hope it works!
Speedo will eventually live in the centre of the dash.
I guess it would be good to steer the car, so I found this aluminium box which came from a (whisper it) Lada.
I figure if it was designed to last a million miles around Russia with little or no maintenance then it could steer the 'reaper without any issues.
Mount bracket on right, cut from 10mm plate.
I made three threaded bosses and welded them to the back of the plate. The upper (larger) boss will pass straight through the chassis and is only threaded for the last 20mm, the shorter lower bosses will just be recessed through one side of the chassis and the plate seam welded in.
Lower holes through the plate are also threaded to give the maximum possible thread purchase.
Once the engine and rollcage are in place I'll work out the best place for it.
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!