Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
341 - 360 of 1413 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Oil light.
Far too much time spent on this, but here goes:
Oil light turned from 6061 Aluminium stock. Machined to fit the 'crank' hole in the top of the dash. Secured by cup and 5mm studs:

The light itself is a 'superbright' 3LED side marker lamp, so plenty bright enough:

And in place:

The surround will be painted black to match the dials.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Handbrake. I'm fitting the car with a hydraulic handbrake as it will probably need one for road legality.
So starting with a handbrake lever pirated from a late 50's/early 60's Ford, I welded on a couple of tabs to take a clevis pin and pivot.

Then made up this panel in 3mm steel that will weld to the chassis just to the right of the driver's seat mounts

The mount for the hydraulic cylinder is made from 4mm aluminium

And is sandwiched between the lever and the mount pate like so:

Under the weld-in panel there are nuts welded on, and a tab that will hold a return spring that will mount to the original cable hole in the lever.

I've kept the hydraulic bracket removable in case I ultimately have to use a cable brake.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Are hydraulic allowed on the street over there? they are not legal here.
Reading the big black book, it only mentions that there should be the ability to 'secure the wheels from movement'.
I've plumbed the brakes on a few road-legal rally cars here, and all they have is the hydraulic handbrake.

If I do have to fit a cable brake, everything is in place to do so and the hydraulic part is easily removable.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
You may have to lock it out when not required. My handbrake circuit was completely separate. When you you park and the fluid is warm everything is fine and then it cools and contracts. Rubber hoses help. I also had Teflon pipes. Kept finding the car rolled out of the parking bay. Made an accumulator out of a wheel cylinder, some valve springs and a bit of box section. Could park for weeks after that.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
I Haven't posted for a while as I've been finish-welding the 'cage and mounts etc, so nothing really exciting photo-wise, but yesterday I got to the stage that I could drop the engine in the hole :wave:

It does look big!
Despite the fact that the chassis was made for it, it surprised me how far back it sits. The front axle line is about 200mm in front of the crank damper.

At the back, the heads are really tight to the bulkhead, but a miss is as good as a mile or so they say.....

Well pleased with the work I've got done over Christmas. Next is to get the front engine mounts in place, and then put the axles in so that I can position the body accurately.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
Another good few days of bolting stuff on.
First off was mocking up the front suspension & axle:

The alloy blocks are just there as spacers for the (too long) 'U' bolts, and the springs may need to lose a leaf or two...

Next was the steering box, now fitted and connected to the steering column:

And then I thought, as I was on a roll, that I'd mount up the diff and some of the suspension.

and amazingly, everything fits!

As I got on that well it was rude not to try a rear wheel on:

Unfortunately the wheel nuts I have don't fit :shake: so the wheel is just rested against the hub. It will be about 2" further in when it's fitted properly which should leave just the right amount of tyre hanging out of the arch.....

And if the week wasn't good enough already, my Christmas present arrived.

Happy new year all!

·
Premium Member
15,154 Posts
with the tyres sticking out like that i'd be fitting those ally blocks between the axle and leaf springs and not removing any leaves either. but i do love a gasser :tup:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
Keeping the momentum up from the Christmas hols and over last weekend, I got home from work last night (Monday) and went straight out into the garage.
Cut out the front and rear inner arches:

And bolted the front engine mounts in place:

:)

341 - 360 of 1413 Posts