Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
621 - 640 of 1410 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #621 ·
After welding in a piece of (almost) flat steel, smoothing off the welds and dusting it with some Red Oxide it now looks like this:

And it fits here, like this:

It will be a functional vent. Years of racing doorslammers full of smoke made me do it!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #626 ·
The LVV certification seems to have become a nightmare. There's a chap up north trying to put a Ram Cobra through and they are being quite ridiculous about it.
Yes, I deal with quite a few hot rod/kit builders through my work and some of it seems not only stupid, but extremely discretionary.
TBH I don't really care if I get the car road legal - it will just be a nicely detailed race car!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #627 · (Edited)
The vent will draw through these holes which match up with the roof support. They'll have meshes between them and the roof:

And outside:

The holes will be finished nicely, and (aside from the high-level brake light) there will be some other electrical trickery going on in there!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #629 ·
This is the panel that will sit behind the vent:

4 small fans and two high-intensity brake lights.

There will be a grille that sits between the two panels, and the fan stickers will be blacked out.

All 4 fans will come on with the brake lights. Get rid of that burnout smoke!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #631 · (Edited)
Last week I was 'gifted' a motorcycle shipping frame (all steel) that I thought would be useful for some different shape channels, one of which was the perfect size for the sills. It started off as a straight section, but ended up curved to match the barrel shape of the body with a nice curved kick-out at the front arch..

Channel on floor for reference!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
It's very unlike me, but I've actually bought something that is new for the project.
This super-spunky radiator came my way for a measly $160. It's 50mm thick 3-core and was originally intended for a Mitsubishi Evo 10 where it's mounted sideways (crossflow) but I figured run it upright in the 'reaper.
It's just narrow enough to fit between the chassis rails. I'll have to mod the mounts/fan mounts/inlet/outlet and add a filler neck, but it'll work and that's all that matters!

Happy bunny!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 ·
It fits!

The old bottom hose connection is the perfect angle for the filler neck. Cardboard in place as I'm a clumsy fuckwit who would inevitably twat the nice shiny new fins on some sticky-outy thing.

Not a huge amount of space, but how much do you need?

I'll use the original 'pin' mounts. bottom mount will end up about 20mm higher than this.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 ·
What we need are some mounts!
These are made from scrap aluminium, with the steel parts made from an angle section purged from an old printer toner cartridge. The status-quo has been resumed....

They mount under the chassis like so. The steel angles welded to the underside. Hideous hex-bolts only there for mock-up.

Now all I have to do is make top mounts. Sounds easier than it is I fear.

·
Premium Member
15,153 Posts
maybe combine the top rad' mount into a sort of strut brace/hoop thingamebob to go between the shock mount area each side. if you get my drift? neil.

621 - 640 of 1410 Posts