Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
661 - 680 of 1419 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Meanwhile, back on the rails.....
New front crossmember.



This is for a couple of reasons:
1) to add stiffness to the chassis
and
2) to make running the brake hard lines more aesthetically pleasing.

The brake line will come up the chassis rail and trough this little tube (in the new crossmember)



to the left-hand brake hose, then back and along the front of the new member to the RH brake hose. Luvvly!

Whilst I had the electric glue gun out I bashed in the top brace:





Glued in the oil filter bracket tabs:



And added these two brackets on the Left-hand rail which will fix the engine to cooler/filter oil hoses without the necessity for bloody cable-ties!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #662 ·
Continuing on with chassis 'improvements', a couple of holes appeared today:



These are to take these through-chassis brake tubes (which were made about a year ago). The tubes are internally threaded both sides.



Welded inside and out



The insides are larger diameter than the outside so I can use banjos on the inside which will fit tight to the chassis. Here's the drivers side with the new boss sat directly in front of the hole in the new crossmember.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
At the rear of the chassis it was necessary to weld these fish-plates across the joins in the chassis. The LVVTA certification process (similar to BIVA) insists on such things.





And whilst I was in the area I welded in the brackets for the front diff link top joints.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
Dear diary,
It's been ten days since I last posted, but have I been idle? Oh no!
Packaging everything I want into such a small space has given me a few challenges. The location I had originally planned for the battery box left wheel clearance a bit too tight for comfort so I've been searching for a new location.
It will fit far back on the chassis and below the floor level, thus keeping the weight down low, but it would need some Isambard-esque construction to make it fit. Oh, and I'd need somewhere to mount the fuel pumps too....
Came up with this:









It mounts between the parachute mount on the bottom of the diff (lowest holes) and the rearmost fuel tank crossmember (top threaded bar).
Plumbing the fuel pumps will be easy necessitating just a drop from the tank down.

On the subject of fuel pumps





I wanted to make the bracketry symmetrical, so made this:



Which mounts to the base of the Holley pump:



And now uses the same mount bolt spacing as the BG pump.

There are a couple more mods that I want to make to the bracket, but it's pretty much there :tup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #667 ·
Which cylindrical bit Myles?. If you mean the big bit at the bottom it was only there to support the structure for photographising...

Dual pumps will be individually switched, with non-return valves on each line to prevent back-feeding either pump.
On our old car, we ran the same system (identical pumps as these!) and switched both on for full-power runs to try and make sure there would be no chance of leaning the engine out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #674 ·
The new position for the battery box threw up a couple of new problems:
1. The cut-out switch would be virtually inaccessible
2. How the hell do I get the battery in?

Killing the two proverbial birds with one stone, as it were I cut off the cut out (?)



(Don't panic. I'm sure it will find a new location>)
Then added this small flange:



Which now has a bolt-on side plate to retain the battery once it's slid into place:



(add another hour Myles!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
Back at the back, as it were, the rear anti-roll bar needed to be mounted in place.
First off I made these mounts:



The large bosses are internally threaded M8 and fit up inside the chassis. The smaller plain bosses locate the ARB blocks.
Having drilled the 2 holes each side necessary, I welded the mounts to the chassis, then bolted it up to check for fit:









You'll also see in the photos how snug the battery is now that the box is mounted.

And whilst I was in the general area I welded on this M10 Stainless-steel stud for the battery (and other necessary) earths:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,163 Posts
Well the carbs are nearly built, the trans-tunnel is nearly finished and I have two spanky-new turbos to strap to the beastie.
Unfortunately I can't show you any of it, unless you flip across to my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mk1gasser/
i've not been able to post pics since the fuck up but yesterday i put an ad in the for sales and the pics went on fine. strange, but maybe worth trying again mate.
neil.
here's a test pic of some of my animals to show you. :D
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #680 ·
i've not been able to post pics since the fuck up but yesterday i put an ad in the for sales and the pics went on fine. strange, but maybe worth trying again mate.
neil.
Just tried again. Photo's won't load properly to the album, and all photo's in album showing 'broken'.
Unfortunately facebook it will have to be until the fuck-up is sorted!
 
661 - 680 of 1419 Posts
Top