Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1398 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,124 ·
Bit of a slow weekend on the car. Working Sat then out on the piss, followed by visit to friends on Sunday, but still managed to mount the chassis on frame ready for paint. It's supported through the front spring mounts and rear gearbox mounts so allows full paint coverage without bare patches.

So last night (Monday) I came home from work and decided to make up for my lax efforts over the weekend and broke out some solvents:

What a difference a day makes!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,125 ·
Please excuse the crap photos but it's a bit cramped in the 'booth'.
Colour is 'Metallic Marine Blue', and came my way cheap as it was a mis-match.
I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Inevitably in the cold light of day there are some 'thin' areas, but they are easy enough to patch up.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Fender Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,126 ·
As the garage (read 'spray booth') is occupied with various suspension and steering components at the moment, 'Old Bluey' is relegated to the outside world.
White tape is covering holes in the chassis that are likely to let the rain in. Incidentally the rain is here already :(

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,127 ·
For you I'm sure this will be a hugely unimpressive photo, but for me it's a huge step forward. Lots of bits cleaned, sanded, sandblasted (in some cases), degreased and primed.
On the big rack we have front axle, motorplate, seat bases, spring hangers, window net rods, gearbox mount, steering column and inner and outer driveshaft yokes. On the floor is the diff cover plate, and off to the right is front stub axles, pitman arm, steering box plates, diff shaft flange plates. Not in photo are pedals, handbrake lever, handbrake ratchet, master cylinder pushrod, small crossmember and rear ARB links.
Once all of this is painted and cleared, I'll start again on the myriad of other incidental parts.....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,131 ·
looks good to me. could some of the painted parts be refitted to the painted chassis to keep them safe from chips/scratches?
neil.
Yes, that's the plan. Once the motor plate, front axle/suspension, steering box parts and steering column are painted they can be fitted to the chassis straight away.
I've now primed the rear ARB, so that, again, can be fitted once it's painted along with the drop-links.
Pedals can go straight back into the pedal box (though that can't be permanently fitted yet).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,132 ·
Out in the bush....
My front leaf springs were brand-spankers when I bought them (about 4 years ago), but the nice nylon bushes at either end (14mm ID) are too big for the pins I'm using at 12mm OD.

No problem. I have machinable nylon (albeit square section), just turn up a smaller bush to fit inside:

Made these with a 1mm 'top hat' so that the nasty springy bits don't scratch the lovely painty bits when it's assembled.
"Great" I thought, swiftly followed by, "You [email protected]$t!" as I realised it would be much nicer to just make a replacement bush. So here they are, made in two halves with the same OD as the original nylon bush, and 12mm ID to work with the new pins.

Out to the 'spray booth' this afternoon to paint the majority of the suspension parts. Stay tuned for awesome shinyness!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,133 ·
Rear hubs were a bit scabby, and the original wheel studs too short for drag racing (the stud has to be through the wheel nut). Studs were screwed in and then peened over to secure them. With a bit of grinding to remove the mushroomed peened bit and then a lot of grunting and heaving the studs eventually gave up their grip.

Thanks to some help from the lathe, the hubs were cleaned up and de-clagged. Comparison of new wheel studs vs originals at the bottom of the photo.

With the new studs screwed in (man they were tight!) I added some electric glue to the inside ends rather than beating the crap out of them.

I will probably add some threaded tubes to the studs to better locate the wheels, but for the time being they are now ready to prime & paint.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,134 ·
This is another one of those posts that is probably boring for most, but another real step forward in the build - getting stuff shiny!
A while ago I bought out what was left from a closed-down paint shop, basically a job lot of paint for $200NZ. I mixed all of the metallic greys and silvers together which gave me this custom mix I'm going to refer to as 'gasser granite'. You will notice the support racks are far more organised now that things are getting serious:

Got to say I'm particularly chuffed with the drop-tube:

It's all basecoat & lacquer, about 3 coats of each, and I have to say the finish exceeds my expectations by a good margin.
This lot will have to be either bolted on to something (in the case of the motorplate, steering column, pedals and axle/stub axles) or stored safely while I utilise the racks for the rest of the suspension and steering components.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,138 ·
It takes a while to protect and store all of the painty bits, then clean up and rack/support the next round of things ready for priming and painting.
Here we have 'Primer Suspect III' which includes (but is not limited to) Rear lower arms and brackets, drive shafts, diff shafts, steering arms and links, rear shock mounts, throttle pedal and bracket, diff front and rear tie brackets, and gear linkage. I'm away racing until Monday so they'll have a nice long drying period!

GETTING PROPERLY EXCITED NOW!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,139 ·
Shiny bits part 2. Another afternoon in the garage breathing noxious fumes....

Rear hubs have come out really good. Photo is shit tho' :)

Rear drive shafts:

Pitman arm, lower rear suspension arm, rear diff tie-bar and steering UJ:

Rear shock brackets, another steering UJ, front diff tie-bar and gear link:

Throttle pedal:

Rear calipers:

Lower arm mounts and tubes, throttle bracket:

Steering arms, diff flange:

Aside from all of the detailed parts there is also: Track rod, rear diff mount links, trailing arms and brackets, driveshaft flanges, and I re-lacquered a couple of the first batch as I wasn't 100% happy with the finish.

1121 - 1140 of 1398 Posts