Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1141 - 1151 of 1151 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,145
I stripped the throttle pedal apart a few weeks ago for clean/paint and plating of the components.
Came to re-assemble it today and I'd lost the nylon bushes that it moves on. Bugger. One was broken anyway.
No worries, Rummagings around the workshop and found a brass fitting (from the 'soft drinks' bottle that I made the expansion tank from), and within a few short profainties I had a nice set of brass bushings. Made these long enough so that the spring doesn't contact the shaft:

Bolted on the front spring hangers. These are mounted on turned-down Nolathane bushes from an unknown vehicle that I bought from a swap meet for a couple of bucks. Bushes are pressed into the tubes that go through the chassis and a nice pair of SS cap-head bolts, washers and nylocs finish the assembly:

The motor-plate has been mounted for a few days and has already seen rain (and lots of it!).
SS Hex-bolts are the only hex-headed bolts I intend to use on the car, but I figure if they should require re-tightening it's easier to slip a spanner into the tiny space behind the engine than trying to wedge an Allen key in there:

Have you noticed how weak over-the-counter degreasers are these days? They don't seem to degrease worth a shit and the labels are covered with 'You're gonna die!!!' warnings.
I needed to degrease the rear hub carriers (the last really dirty thing left to do) which have sat beneath (presumably) an old XJ6 for 40-odd years. They were minging!
So, rather than spend the remainder of my life trying to break through the grime with 'degreaser' I purchased a couple of litres of BP's finest 91 octane and put that to work, then scrubbed off with a scouring pad and dishwash liquid (or washing-up liquid if you're not in the colonies).
Here's the 'before and after':

and the 'after and after':

A couple of the bearings were less than inspiring, so I will treat them to brand new bearings and seals.
Top tip if you're buying rear bearing kits for a Jag axle go to a bearing supplier rather than your local autofactors. I bought two kits for over $200 less than exactly the same kits from the 'factors.

Another Top tip: use petrol instead of degreaser. Probably a quarter of the cost, far more efficient and if all goes wrong you get to die like a man!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146
A year or so ago the directors of SpeedFlow fittings in Australia came over to see my boss' new drag car which was in my garage at the time.
They took a long time looking over 'reaper and voiced an interest in helping the project when it came to plumbing fittings.
The deal was that they would supply all of the fittings I needed to finish the project, plus any needed to replace non-SpeedFlow fittings that were already on the car.
Last week a box of stuff arrived:

All in my chosen shade of silver:

I cannot thank SpeedFlow enough. They have saved me $1,000's.
Any of you who have not used SpeedFlow fittings before, they are absolutely superb quality, and the flow rates are second to none.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Like those silver fittings much better than the blue/red ones. Had a couple of the latter tigged together long ago and they came out a lovely bronze/gunmetal colour from the heat.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
Like those silver fittings much better than the blue/red ones. Had a couple of the latter tigged together long ago and they came out a lovely bronze/gunmetal colour from the heat.
Yes, I didn't want the red/blue or the plain black. Silver looks understated and somehow more 'retro'.

1141 - 1151 of 1151 Posts