Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1201 - 1220 of 1255 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,201 ·
Made a cover for the pipes where they would have been visible at the bottom of the inner bulkhead panel:

And then got on and made all of the flexible brake lines. These are all made from HEL components (from good old Blighty don'tcha know!)
Front flexi's:

Rear caliper hoses:

And hydraulic handbrake hoses:

Just need to run battery cable and wiring looms to the rear and I can fit the floors! Woop woop!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,202 ·
Crucification........
Revisiting the throttle linkage cruciform (see what I did there?), this (as you may remember) had a nice little roller bearing in the centre to make it work nicely, BUT carefully looking at the operation the bearing was a bit wobbly allowing the cruciform to rock on it's axis. Not good.
The solution was to turn up another bearing holder, but this one using two bearings rather than relying on one:

Wobbly bearing left, new bearing pack on right.
From there it was a simple enough task to turn out the old bearing retainer and weld in the new one. I fitted new (yes new - I know...) bearings before it was fitted and I even gave it a pre-assembly assembly polish:

The bearings are those fitted to kids scooter/skateboard wheels and are cheap as chips ($7 for 8). I figure if they'll support a fat kid jumping off a 3 ft ramp then they'll cope with the gentle application of my right foot. Big washer under the securing bolt is in the unlikely event that the bearings come loose in the cruciform.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,203 ·
Bored on a wire.....
Dear diary. It's been ten days since my last entry. I've been tied up with this lot:

Considering it's a small car with very basic electrics there are a humungous amount of wires. The long, vertical bit is the front/rear loom that goes from dashboard and has 'spurs' for steering column, pedal box, centre console and indicators.

The dash loom:

This goes from overhead console connectors (not fitted yet) on left, with spurs to front light loom, engine loom, connectors to front/rear loom, washers and ending up in the melee of colours on the right which will be connected to the main fuse/relay box.

I'm seeing coloured wires in my sleep!

I've got to that point in the build where everything depends on everything else, so the floors can only go in after the hardlines and wiring looms are in, hence the push to get the wiring looms finished enough to fit.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,205 ·
Early indications are positive.
Another post (yay! :D ). More wiring ( :rolleyes: )
The steering column is the next wiring conundrum that needs to be sorted. Avid followers will remember that there is a tube running down the column to hide/tidy the wires to the indicator switch.

Switch itself is just a standard on/off/on toggle switch. Indicator LED's are the secondupfromcheapest from a local auction site. Other auction sites are available.

Due to the proximity of everything in the switch 'box' it was an absolute mare to fit and wire, but now it's all in place and apparently working:
LH indicator:

And RH indicator:

There is a gap in the wiring tube at the collapsible part of the column. This has been infilled with a small section of convoluted tube and a couple of bits of heat-shrink:

Next major wiring project is the main fuse/relay board. This has about 30 wires going into/out of it so the block connectors will need some clever organisation......

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,208 ·
This could be the start of something big!

A small (but welcome) diversion from wiring. Those who have been paying attention will remember that the new (LS) flywheel is about 4mm smaller than the old (mod) flywheel which means that the starter motor needs to move in by 2mm.

As it's only 2mm I could have just ovalled the mount holes and wedged it up whilst I tighten the bolts, but the 'Reaper is no longer an 'oval the holes' class of build, so I turned up these offset top-hat bushes:

Next step was to over-bore the starter mount holes and press in the new bushes. For a while the whole 'which way round' conundrum confused me but once sorted out:

One offset starter motor!
Doesn't look too shabby from the other side either:

Now back to the wiring. Waiting for components at the moment so it's a slow business.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,211 ·
I'm at that awkward stage (have been since my teens....) where to get one thing sorted, three or four things need to be done first.
Case in point the wiring from the overhead console. To get this sorted the panel needs to be fitted to the chassis. To get that done the switches need to be final fitted. To get that done the panel needs to be trimmed, but to get that done I needed to sort some kind of finish for the fuse recess.

So working backwards, the fuse recess was finished in crackle-black (wrinkle finish), and an aluminium trim (made from 4 pieces of aluminium welded together and hand-sanded flat) were pressed into service:

Then the wiring loom could be re-inserted and switches in place. The warning light LED's are not yet in place as I've had an idea ( :rolleyes: ). Ford badge needs to be refitted in it's place too.
Generally I'm quite pleased.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,215 ·
The overhead console was built to take 10mm LED warning lights which were fitted in the original assembly:

But in the interim 4 years or so (!) the quality of these became evident and all but one broke. Replacements were required, but all I could find were (albeit better quality) 6mm LED's.
No great issue, I remade the oblong LED panels and turned up these little nuts:

Which are the correct internal thread for the new LED's, and the raised part locates in the original 10mm holes, thereby centralising everything.

Finished overhead console with Ford badge and shift light:

Just need to wire in the LED's and this can be fitted to the chassis.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,217 ·
And here's the finished rats-nest behind the console:

Then, apply some power and check that all of the circuits are working:

The 'missing' LED is a spare. It's under the wash/wipe switch but I figured that I don't need a light to tell me that the wipers are on (!)

Now it's fitted to the cage, and time to route the wiring loom. This disappears into the roll cage here:

And re-emerges behind the dashboard here:

The second hole is where the light/horn loom will go forward to the front.

The driver's eye view. Crap picture. Sunny day. At least it's not blurred like Ivanheow's :D !

1201 - 1220 of 1255 Posts