Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1261 - 1280 of 1282 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh no !! what are we mere mortals to do , no more scriptures to read , you may find me wandering lonely around fields of numerous rods of heat today looking all forlorn and lost, praise the lord.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,263 ·
Back to boring I'm afraid...

Wood Bicycle part Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

The bootlock mechanism came off some kind of Nissan (it was all I could get at the time with the format I wanted) and mounted using spacers to get it in the right position. The original fitment must have had a stepped panel or similar.

Wood Art Monochrome photography Monochrome Metal

It works well, but looks a bit....er.....adapted, so I thought I'd better attack it with grinder and electric glue and see if I could do better:

Grey Automotive tire Art Road surface Asphalt

Now uses one small spacer and will hopefully look more 'factory' when it's in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,264 ·
Extra extra. Read all about it!

Headliner (headline news - get it?).
Now I know a lot of people will be saying "Headliner in a race car. WTF?" but I want it to be nice.
Remember the gassers of the 60's? Diamond pleated seats, door cards, headliners, everything!

So I started with a headliner from some kind of Mitsubishi, and cut it down (by a lot less than you'd think) to mimic what would have been the shape of the original fabric roof.
Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Tints and shades Fixture

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

And then covered in the chosen shade of shiny blue vinyl:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Fixture

This will be bonded to the roof, and a padded 'apron' around the edge, filling the gap down to the frames.
Doing this now is not as random as you'd think. The headlining and roof support have to be in place before the body goes back on the chassis as there just isn't the room to squeeze it in over the rollcage.

More exciting titles soon!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Looking forward to the next edition of the Morny Standit (you have to be old enough and watched the 2 Ronnies to get that) , cant wait to see page 3 !!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,266 ·
For the heading to this post I was going to go with 'Project 'Reaper - In Colour!' as an homage to those Binky boys.
But as white is arguably not a colour I toyed with 'It'll be all white on the night'.
But after the recent psuedo-religious posts I've decided on Let Us Spray!

As mentioned previously, the inside of the car has to be painted, and the headliner trimmed before it goes back on the chassis, so after a weekend blocking out primer it's all shiny now:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door Fixture

Wood Floor Flooring Composite material Engineering

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Fixture Automotive exterior

Wood Aircraft Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Airplane

Window Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle

Wood Floor Ceiling Hardwood Beam

Getting there! Now have to finish the headlining and fit the roof support, then it's body on!
Woo, and if I may say, Hoo!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,272 ·
Tanks for the memories.

No, I'm not going to post a picture of everything I bolt to the car, but the fuel tank has particular relevance.
I bought the fuel tank before the project kicked off properly, and it was the shape of the tank which made me think "That would look really cool if the chassis crossmember followed the line of the sump." So the crossmember was the first thing I fabricated which, in turn, dictated the dimensions of the chassis.

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Garage is a bit crowded so you can see reflections of the engine and the rear wiring loom.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle

Anyhoo.... it's bolted in place now, and relatively shiny. Might even plumb it in over the weekend!

Top tip - if you've had shiny aluminium sitting around for a while which has built up layers of grinding dust and paint dust, clean it off with Solvol Autosol applied with a rag soaked in thinners. Works very quickly!

You're welcome ;)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,273 ·
Screws & Threads

OK, so not so much of the screws. You think of a funny title then.

Busy weekend. Worked Saturday morning, mowed the lawn, went shopping, then thought "F*@k this" and started on the car.

Rubbed out the dashboard and applied a few coats of colour (or not colour, or maybe Schrodinger's colour?). More to do but I'm really happy with the gun finish.

Vehicle Aircraft Automotive exterior Gas Aviation

Then dragged the sewing machine out of semi-retirement and stitched up the roof insert insert panel, and covers for the door-bar roll cage padding:

Writing implement Office supplies Bumper Grille Bicycle part

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive exhaust Vehicle Auto part

Not overly impressed with the creases, but it still looks better than the bare black padding.
Covers are handed. Drivers side has the hole for the window net through it.

The colour of the vinyl is a perfect match to the roll cage (in certain lights!). Both have amazing flip-tones and look dark blue in some lights, purple in some lights and very light metallic blue in others.

Now to sleep......

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,276 ·
Coyote Ugly

That's better, back to the 'funny but clever' titles. IMHO.
The inlet manifold for the engine has been welded together for some time but there was an ugly bit right in your eyeline, just above the alternator.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting

It follows the line of the original manifold but looked....well.....Ugly.
No worries, a small tube of electric glue squeezed onto a 5mm triangular 'gusset' and .....Voila!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Fender

A far more aesthetically pleasing shape.
And whilst I was at it I glued in some -4AN fittings to supply vacuum/pressure to the BOV's and waste gates:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Now it just needs a damn good clean.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,279 ·
Dashing through time...

Let me take you back to 2019. It was a simpler time, the world was free and no-one had heard of covid.
I had just wrestled the dashboard from where it had sat since 1938:
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

Pretty? No. Pretty rough? Yes. But not to worry, I had an angle grinder, some old metal from a wiring conduit and a fresh tube of electric glue and I wasn't afraid to use it.
So soon I had filled the original big, ugly glovebox and added a smaller, more delicate glovebox/fusebox in a place more....well....left hand drive-ish;

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

Soon followed an extension forwards, and slots cut out to clear the roll-cage:

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Hood

Then gauge holes in the right place and a glovebox door:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

And give-or-take some primer here and there, that was the way it sat for another year.
Then I had the brilliant idea to weld in a cubby-hole for the boost controller:

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

But soon got rid of that, and all of the unused holes in the dash:

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Then followed some filling and priming in the age of Covidicus (New Testament), and last week I got all painty and spray-y:

Vehicle Aircraft Automotive exterior Gas Aviation

Yesterday was a day free from the confines of work, so I went to the spray booth (read 'garage with the doors shut') and got wayward with some more 'Gasser Grey' paint on the dial bezels so that they all match.
As an aside, remember the dials? They came with the car and were destined for the scrap bin until I discovered that they actually work!

Gauge Clock Measuring instrument Vehicle Gas

Tableware Drinkware Coffee cup Cup Table salt

Oh, and then I did this:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,280 ·
Dashing to the finish...

Today it's been p*ss*ng with rain. time to bring the painty bits into the warm and unite them for (hopefully) the last time:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Boat Automotive design Vehicle

Fuse/relay board all in place and fixed wit SS button-head screws:

Gas Machine Auto part Multimedia Metal

Gauges looking all gaugey. And yes I know the temp gauge is in wonky :rolleyes:

Gauge Measuring instrument Tachometer Motor vehicle Steering part

Boost gauge & pod look a million times better in grey. I was toying with doing it blue or white, but I think the grey is subtler.

Gauge Motor vehicle Clock Measuring instrument Gas

Speedo and LED oil light:

Motor vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument Red Material property

To say I'm happy with the way it's turned out is an understatement!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Camera accessory Digital camera Cameras & optics

Obviously this has exposed the final colour combo for the car. The blue is 'Marine Blue' (same as the chassis/cage) and the white is good old 'Appliance White'.

1261 - 1280 of 1282 Posts