Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1281 - 1300 of 1308 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,283 ·
Hood Gas Engineering Machine Plastic

Automotive tire Blue Drinkware Gas Bumper

More plated stuff. It was easier to have the hinges plated than to rely on rust-remedies. Some of these parts will be painted (such as the door hinges and most of the front end hinge) but some will not.
In the plastic container are long hinge bolts, and a handful of 1938 lock and striker screws which have come out surprisingly good.
The weird triangular brackets tie the bottom door hinges directly to the chassis/rollcage.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,284 ·
It's been a long time since you've seen this, (actually it's been a long time since I've seen it!).
It's the aluminium roof support. Now has all the welds smoothed out, and has been 'brushed' and waxed ready to fit.

Wood Flooring Hardwood Bicycle part Circle

Cross Religious item Wood Art Material property

This has to go in after the headlining has been fitted, and before the body is reunited with the frame. I'll post a pic up as soon as the headlining is done (still being made :rolleyes:), shouldn't be long now.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,285 ·
Dancing' on the ceiling....

This has been too long in the making. It should have been finished a week ago but my trusty old sewing machine decided to drop the cam-belt (yes, really!) and it's taken me 'till yesterday to procure a replacement (which I am very happy with). Completing the diamond stitching took all day yesterday (Saturday) and a couple of hours this morning, but after all that it only took a couple of hours to glue it up and fit the two 'upper roof' panels and roof support.

Window Furniture Product Rectangle Chair

Yes, the gap is intentional..............

From the centre back, the holes in the roof support correspond to holes in the trimmed panel and vent out to the roof vent.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Composite material

Roof support bolts up to captive nuts in the front and rear screen surrounds and the top of the 'B' pillars. All of the diamond stitching is padded so it'll be a nice place to hit when I stick the car on its roof.

White Hood Automotive tire Light Window

And if that wasn't enough, I cleaned, brushed, waxed and fitted the passenger's floor:

Blue Light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Composite material

Now for a beer and a lie-down!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,286 ·
Well. Like so much of the build so far, the reason I was leaving a gap at the front of the headliner didn't work out, so I hastily stitched up a new panel that does away with all of the silliness I was considering.

Turned out nice again.....

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper Netbook

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,289 ·
As you can imagine, now the body's back on things have been happening.
But as an aside from screwing things together, today I gave baby some new (to me!) shoes.
Out with the old M/T slicks, and in with the new Hoosier DOT's

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

The hoosiers are smaller which will allow me to lower the car more (which is nice), and DOT so road legal (yeah, right).

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Back on her feet.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Fender

Lower front engine bulkhead panels got a brush and a wax and a handful of rivets thrown at them:

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Gas

Which allowed me to final-fit the fluid feed pipes to the pedal box.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle door Bumper Motor vehicle

After this I refitted the steering box, fitted the drag-link and fitted the steering column.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,290 ·
Nearly 4 weeks since I last posted. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun.....
Not that I haven't been busy, but this lot has taken a while to get together.
The rear interior panels are now in. Resplendent in brushed and waxed aluminium sheet and held in place by a million rivets (well that's what it felt like!)
Gas Fixture Engineering Auto part Machine

You can just see the boot release knob slightly left of centre in the upright panel. This (rather than relying on just aluminium sheet) bolts through to this 'C' section bracket which is welded to the cage:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

Just behind the driver there is a hole in the panel for the 'chute release cable, and a sexy power bulge....

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bumper Wood Automotive tire

Which is there to clear the fuel tank roll-over valve and fittings:
Hood Fluid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

The underside of all of the panels have also been brushed and waxed, so the underside looks pretty tidy too:

Hood Vehicle Flap Automotive tire Aircraft

Also had a bit of luck over Christmas with a pair of new, blue 5/6 point harnesses that cost just $400 (about 200 quid) for the pair.
Still have over a week off work so there will be more reports shortly!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,291 ·
Giving no quarter.....

Panels that is.
Rear inner quarter panels have been made for some time (the word 'years' comes to mind), but until today have languished in bare-metal alloy dustiness on a shelf in the garage.

Trim is same as everywhere else, metallic blue with a foam pad behind it both glued to the aluminium:
Automotive exterior Bumper Wood Electric blue Composite material

The cut out at the top of the front edges is to allow access to the trafficators, and are finished with these natty little escutcheon plates:

Wood Rectangle Grey Automotive exterior Composite material

In the car they follow the lines of the tubs nicely. The top edges will be held in place by the window surrounds, and the front edges and tub flanges will probably end up with some nice screws to hold them there.

Motor vehicle Stairs Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Fixture Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

And the great thing is, because of the size of the car and the amount of stuff that's in it they will never be seen!

Stairs Fixture Wood Hood Automotive exterior

I can't finish-fit them yet as the trafficator wiring needs to go in first. You will (hopefully) see why they were trimmed and not brushed like everything else at a later date.

·
Registered
727 Posts
At least someone has done stuff over the festive time, looking good, and did you say it’s just for strip use or can you get it on the road, and happy new year for tomorrow to you and family.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,293 ·
At least someone has done stuff over the festive time, looking good, and did you say it’s just for strip use or can you get it on the road, and happy new year for tomorrow to you and family.
I try to do at least an hour every day. Didn't help that we went away for a week before Christmas.
Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous requirements (and cost) to get a 'unique' car road legal here in NZ it will be relegated to strip use only.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,296 ·
The Cable Guy

With the dashboard loom and the front-rear loom largely in place, it was time to start connecting other bits to it.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Vehicle

First off, the front loom. This provides power to the headlights, sidelights, horn and the two separately switched cooling fans.
This starts at the left-hand side of the dash (lower connector in this photo) and disappears into the roll cage left.

Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Bumper Gas Auto part

Then makes a brief re-appearance through the firewall and into the LH engine bar:

Wood Gas Tints and shades Auto part Door

Before burping out into fresh air at the front of the chassis. Top connector is for fans, bottom for lights & horn.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Whilst I was in the dashboard area I thought it prudent to wire the line-lock socket, and then plumbed in the drivers fire extinguisher nozzle:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

By now I was getting all excited, so ran around to the rear of the car to see what other wiring-related fun I could be getting on with. Only 30 degrees here today so Ideal time to be in a largely unventilated garage with a soldering iron and heat gun in my hands :rolleyes:
The fuel pump relay panel had been complete for a while, but no wiring connected any of it together. This takes the live feed directly from the battery, through the two fuses and then to the two relays.

Gas Electronic device Bumper Cable Electrical wiring

Always paranoid about earths, aside from the panel being 'naturally' earthed when it's fitted I also added an earth to be connected directly to the welded-in earth stud on the chassis.
The 8 x block connector only has six spades in it as there are two 'spare' wires which run the length of the car. Also paranoid about forgetting circuits or the necessity to add anything in at a later date.

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Cable Electrical wiring

The panel sits behind the right-hand wheel tub:

Gas Engineering Wood Audio equipment Machine

With all of the rearmost wiring now in place and connected to the main loom, it seemed rude not to test the HLB lights and fan panel.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,297 ·
Nothing to do with wiring, but behind the left-hand wheel tub is this panel:

Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Bumper Automotive lighting

Which houses the fuel tank breather, diff breather/catch can and filters for both:

Bumper Gas Cylinder Auto part Metal

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,298 ·
Lights, Camera.......

I bought the headlamps ages ago from a swap meet. They are a lot smaller than the original headlamps but the downside is the sealed beam units (at 5 1/2") are a bit of an odd size.
After scouring 'auction sites', small ads, Farcebook marketplace etc., I eventually found a couple of new spotlight/main beam units (from ?????) the right size.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

These were easy enough to fit to the pods just a case of marking out and cutting the location slots in the outer flange:

Composite material Gas Audio equipment Metal Circle

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire

Noice!
Downside number two was the single filament high beam/spot bulbs. Needed to replace these with dip/main bulbs.
I carefully pried the bulb holders out of the reflectors, cut out the single bulb fitting and enlarged the hole (by hammering a 3/4" socket through it) to accept the new H4 type bulbs:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Fender

Before (right) and after (left).

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Headlamp

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grille

Then it was simply a case of cutting 3 slots, and making new retainer clips from SS welding wire.

With everything in place and new correct wiring connectors they look OK and will work fine, though they will dip flat but I guess that's OK for a race car!

Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Headlamp Gas

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You probably know this, American cars dip flat not to the side so pretend there American (y):)

1281 - 1300 of 1308 Posts