Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1301 - 1308 of 1308 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,301 ·
With the last of the dash wiring (gauges and illumination) finalised I saw no reason not to fit the dash. So I did. So there.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Bicycle handlebar

Considering the confined space behind the dash, the wiring hasn't come out too untidy:

Window Hood Automotive tire Aircraft Monoplane

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle

Some of it still needs to be clipped up. Obvs.
I'm particularly happy with the way the dash tucks around the cage and behind the 'A' pillar. Looks a lot tidier than some I've seen:

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Fender Gas

Happiness.....and out!

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,303 ·
You must be getting a bit excited now the end is in sight?
Damn right!
Still a lot to do (obvs.) But every day sees more and more empty shelves in the garage.
After today it will just be engine check, fit and wire, door trims, mod bonnet, fit the doors, boot and bonnet and paint everything, make and fit the windows, repair and paint the window trims, set up the clutch, fit the gearbox, fit the rad, fans and oil cooler, add fluids, remake the distributor drive, fit and trim the seats, wire and plumb the turbo controller, fit the turbos and exhaust, set up the IRS and tracking, finish plumb the fuel system and regulator.......... I wish I'd never started this post, I'm all depressed now :(

·
Premium Member
14,803 Posts
you mean all that's left is.... everything else. that sounds much easier to achieve, lol.
neil.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,305 ·
FIRE!

Or hopefully not...

Fitting and plumbing the fire extinguisher system was pretty straightforward, except for the bottle mount - this is made from 2mm plastic and had 4 x 6mm mount holes.
Given that the bottle weighs 10kg, I wouldn't trust the plastic to hold firm if the car ever stops abruptly.
So I added a couple of 2mm aluminium brackets at the sides of the mounts to strengthen everything a bit.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Bumper

It's mounted with 4 x M6 cap-head screws. The inner two screw into tapped holes in the chassis, and the outer two have penny-washers and nylon nuts under the floor panel.

Fluid Cylinder Electrical wiring Gas Cable

The tube runs forward and backwards along the outer chassis member:

Cloud Shade Wood Automotive exterior Gas

(It will be clipped up and straightened), Up over the bell housing to this Tee:

Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset

Which distributes it to the drivers nozzle, and the two engine nozzles high on the firewall:

Hood Aircraft Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Backwards the hose re-emerges through the floor, then runs up by the seat mount to a relatively low mounted nozzle in the boot:

Material property Gas Fixture Machine Metal

(again it will be clipped up). The nozzle in the boot should help put out any potential fuel pump fires as it's higher than the base of the fuel tank:

Vehicle Automotive tire Fixture Tire Vehicle door

One more job done!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I try to do at least an hour every day. Didn't help that we went away for a week before Christmas.
Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous requirements (and cost) to get a 'unique' car road legal here in NZ it will be relegated to strip use only.
That's a real bummer not be able to get your car road legal at a reasonable cost. You'd think the authorities could come up with something like the Aussie way or like our Biva.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 · (Edited)
That's a real bummer not be able to get your car road legal at a reasonable cost. You'd think the authorities could come up with something like the Aussie way or like our Biva.
Yep. I've got a few vehicles through SVA/BIVA in the UK, but the system here is very discretionary. I deal with a lot of individuals who are going through the process and some of the stories of 'requirements' are ludicrous. In one instance I know of it cost the builder $8,000 to get a brake pedal certified, and he has said that he will never go through the system again as the fines for using an uncertified vehicle are a tiny fraction of the costs to go 'legal'. And if the tester makes a mistake and misses anything guess who pays for the retest?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,308 ·
LED down the garden path.....

Swift LED conversion on the trafficators.
Uses 14 LED 'daytime running' strips, one per side, doubled up so they show both sides. Cost a whole $2 each!
Better than the old festoon bulb IMHO, and with no fear of melting the lenses.

Amber Automotive lighting Orange Material property Red

1301 - 1308 of 1308 Posts