Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1301 - 1320 of 1354 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,301 ·
With the last of the dash wiring (gauges and illumination) finalised I saw no reason not to fit the dash. So I did. So there.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Bicycle handlebar

Considering the confined space behind the dash, the wiring hasn't come out too untidy:

Window Hood Automotive tire Aircraft Monoplane

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Tire Wheel Vehicle

Some of it still needs to be clipped up. Obvs.
I'm particularly happy with the way the dash tucks around the cage and behind the 'A' pillar. Looks a lot tidier than some I've seen:

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Fender Gas

Happiness.....and out!

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,303 ·
You must be getting a bit excited now the end is in sight?
Damn right!
Still a lot to do (obvs.) But every day sees more and more empty shelves in the garage.
After today it will just be engine check, fit and wire, door trims, mod bonnet, fit the doors, boot and bonnet and paint everything, make and fit the windows, repair and paint the window trims, set up the clutch, fit the gearbox, fit the rad, fans and oil cooler, add fluids, remake the distributor drive, fit and trim the seats, wire and plumb the turbo controller, fit the turbos and exhaust, set up the IRS and tracking, finish plumb the fuel system and regulator.......... I wish I'd never started this post, I'm all depressed now :(

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,305 ·
FIRE!

Or hopefully not...

Fitting and plumbing the fire extinguisher system was pretty straightforward, except for the bottle mount - this is made from 2mm plastic and had 4 x 6mm mount holes.
Given that the bottle weighs 10kg, I wouldn't trust the plastic to hold firm if the car ever stops abruptly.
So I added a couple of 2mm aluminium brackets at the sides of the mounts to strengthen everything a bit.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Bumper

It's mounted with 4 x M6 cap-head screws. The inner two screw into tapped holes in the chassis, and the outer two have penny-washers and nylon nuts under the floor panel.

Fluid Cylinder Electrical wiring Gas Cable

The tube runs forward and backwards along the outer chassis member:

Cloud Shade Wood Automotive exterior Gas

(It will be clipped up and straightened), Up over the bell housing to this Tee:

Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset

Which distributes it to the drivers nozzle, and the two engine nozzles high on the firewall:

Hood Aircraft Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Backwards the hose re-emerges through the floor, then runs up by the seat mount to a relatively low mounted nozzle in the boot:

Material property Gas Fixture Machine Metal

(again it will be clipped up). The nozzle in the boot should help put out any potential fuel pump fires as it's higher than the base of the fuel tank:

Vehicle Automotive tire Fixture Tire Vehicle door

One more job done!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I try to do at least an hour every day. Didn't help that we went away for a week before Christmas.
Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous requirements (and cost) to get a 'unique' car road legal here in NZ it will be relegated to strip use only.
That's a real bummer not be able to get your car road legal at a reasonable cost. You'd think the authorities could come up with something like the Aussie way or like our Biva.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 · (Edited)
That's a real bummer not be able to get your car road legal at a reasonable cost. You'd think the authorities could come up with something like the Aussie way or like our Biva.
Yep. I've got a few vehicles through SVA/BIVA in the UK, but the system here is very discretionary. I deal with a lot of individuals who are going through the process and some of the stories of 'requirements' are ludicrous. In one instance I know of it cost the builder $8,000 to get a brake pedal certified, and he has said that he will never go through the system again as the fines for using an uncertified vehicle are a tiny fraction of the costs to go 'legal'. And if the tester makes a mistake and misses anything guess who pays for the retest?

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is a great idea, I was going to put flashing LEDs with an Arduino controller to look after a servo and flashing functions in my Morris Minor trafficators. Anyway, they won't miss those!

LED down the garden path.....

Swift LED conversion on the trafficators.
Uses 14 LED 'daytime running' strips, one per side, doubled up so they show both sides. Cost a whole $2 each!
Better than the old festoon bulb IMHO, and with no fear of melting the lenses.

View attachment 634783

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,311 ·
More Tee Vicar?

For the boost controller I needed a couple of 'special' Tee pieces to fit directly to the wastegates. These can easily be removed to go back to the 'mechanical' boost control(s) if necessary.
Nothing is commercially available in one piece, and as two-piece Tees would definitely break the budget I found these lurking about:
Gas Nickel Household hardware Composite material Auto part

The (used) 90 degree crimped fittings were donated by a customer, and the male/male elbow are still only $4 each at my place of work.

After a bit of drillage and a gentle squeeze from the electric glue tube and I have these:

Gas Household hardware Coil spring Auto part Plumbing valve

What the photo doesn't show is that they are slightly offset and are therefore handed. These will be anodised in my special shade of silver to match all of the other fittings.
Moving on to the operational side of the HKS Boost controller. This uses push-on rubber tubes (which I hate!). Fortunately I found these nylon tubes in my stash, and made up a Tee using the quick-release fittings that came with the nylon tube. This takes vaccum/boost from the inlet manifold and distributes it to the controller and the boost gauge:

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Hood Electrical wiring Gas Cable Automotive exterior

And whilst all of that was going on, my clutch alignment tool arrived for the twin-plate clutch - Yay!
Unfortunately, the spigot was far too tiny for the manly Ford bearing - Boo!
But I have a lathe and (allegedly) the skills to use it so:

Auto part Tool Gas Plastic Metal

More soon.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,312 ·
Well I thought it was flat until I started blocking it out......
Obviously some low spots and some high spots, and some areas that have 'changed' since the roof support and wheel tubs have gone in.
Still, I guess that's why we go through all of these steps before the final finish.....

Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,314 ·
So with the weather here in the high 20c range, it's quite conducive to painting twin-pack.
Out with the primer/surfacer and after a couple of hours.....
Sports equipment Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive design Home appliance

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Quite nice. Now for some guide-coat and some more blocking out and we might have it shiny by the end of the month!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,318 ·
No colour yet. Had a really busy weekend which interfered with the (hopefully) final blocking out.
The upside of the busy weekend is that it cleared a lot of space in my garages, which enabled me to get the engine onto the engine stand:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine tool Engineering Gas

The 'heavy duty' engine stand still seems a bit lightweight for the engine, hence the block of wood under the front pulley.

One of the jobs I want to do is extend the sump backwards and fit a rear oil pick-up, so sump off and look at the whirry bits:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

A bit dark, but everything looks nice and clean (as it should for 12,000kms). Main bearings are 4-bolt and cross-bolted so really built to boogie.

Top end is quad-cam. Hydraulic roller-cam. Again, everything has no wear at all:

Automotive engine gasket Engineering Motor vehicle Machine Auto part

I've got new cam chains, but TBH I can't really see any point in replacing what's there.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,319 ·
Sumpthing Different......

....For a change.
Delving deeper into the engine, the front sump wasn't going to cut it in a drag race situation, so I decided to get it into surgery:

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

I've left the rear 'shelf' to act as a baffle. Next was time to fill the hole.
Initially I followed the line of the sump base:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Asphalt Automotive exterior

But as you can see, this ramps down towards the rear. Two issues with this: 1-The drain plug would be 10mm above the lowest part, and 2-the pick up would have an angle underneath it. Probably 2 wouldn't matter that much, but hey....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

That's better! Bottom of 'new' sump is now parallel with the mount flange.
And after a judicious application of electric glue:

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Inside:

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid

Still work to do with baffles etc., but the sump will now hold over a litre more oil and will keep the pickup covered even when the front wheels of the car are two feet off the ground!
On the subject of the pickup, I hacked this in half:

Human body Material property Font Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

Then found a piece of thick-wall tubing that had the correct ID. Turned down the OD to a workable size and counterbored the ends to the OD of the pickup tubes:

Bumper Automotive exterior Tool Auto part Bicycle part

Squeezed some electric glue at it:

Bicycle part Automotive tire Automotive exterior Nickel Bumper

Lovely! This bolts to an extension fitted to the main bearing cap which I moved from #2 cap to #5 cap:

Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Bumper Automotive wheel system

And then comes the confusing part. I measured the drop of the pickup compared to the depth of the sump, and they must have been touching, because I had to shorten the pickup 10mm to give me a 10mm clearance. I guess the sump had been changed as all the bolts were loose and there was no gasket. Just glad that I didn't try and run it like that!

·
Premium Member
15,045 Posts
now see if you'd left the 'new' sump bottom angling down as per the first pic and moved the drain bung to suit then the pickup would probably have been the correct depth. buuuuuuut..... hindsight's a wonderful thing and your version looks better, lol.
neil.

1301 - 1320 of 1354 Posts