All of these Dzus fasteners came my way pre-loved and were either bought cheap or donated to the cause. They were all tarnished, some had signs of rust in places, some looked very second hand.
So I sent them off for a small holiday to my local platers (Acme Platers - no coyote jokes please) for a zinc spa, and they came back like this:
And yes, they really are that shiny. Total cost was $23 (that's about 11 quid to you).
All white now....
Well, after another 10 hours getting the front end ready for paint it seemed rude not to paint it.
Unfortunately, with both garages stuffed to the gunnals with cars, bikes and shiny stuff there just wasn't enough space to get around it to paint it. This looks like a job for Supergazebo!
With the temperature here in the mid 20's and a gentle breeze it was actually a very nice painting environment, evidenced by the finished article which I'm very happy with.
And at the end of the day, still with no space the only place to put it was on the car:
And whilst I was chucking solvents around I resolved another problem.
A bit of a rest from painting, I need to find a place to put the boost controller.
This needs to be visible and accessible, but most of the (limited) available space is taken up with gauges, switches or fuses and relays.
Except, that is, for:
The padded panel that sits between the bottom of the dash and the trans-tunnel and hides wiring and various plumbing hoses. It's one of the only parts of the car that I haven't made twice. Yet.
The trim was unceremoniously ripped from the panel like skinning a snake and a plan was hatched:
With the plan....er.....planned I waded into making the boost controller panel. This was made from 10 separate pieces of aluminium glued together with some electric glue:
Panel re-trimmed and controller console polished and fitted. The two fuses are for the boost controller and the line-lock relay which sits behind the panel.
"Enough of this," I hear you cry, "you are neglecting the most important part of this car!"
Well, after the sneak-preview of the engine last week, here it is with the covers actually bolted on. The sump and engine mounts are now in in place, and the odd pulleys have found their way on:
The breathers are temporarily capped until the engine is in place, but there was no need not to have them custom anodised to match the rest of the fittings........
So now the engine is ready to fit there were a couple of things I needed to fix to the bulkhead which would have been difficult with the engine in place:
The top 'bellows' is for the throttle linkage, and the lower AN fitting is for the wiring loom/boost hose/oil pressure hose and water temperature capillary. These will all pass through a length of -16AN stainless steel hose to keep all of the wiring/hoses tidy and largely hidden.
The doors have now got catches and release handles fitted, and the hinges have their correct bolts in and tightened for (hopefully) the last time. The boot lid, lock and hinges are now in place but as none of this was particularly photo-worthy I didn't bother. Suffice to say the doors now close with a satisfying 'clunk' and open as they should.
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!