Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1341 - 1360 of 1398 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,343 ·
Dzus'd a minute....

All of these Dzus fasteners came my way pre-loved and were either bought cheap or donated to the cause. They were all tarnished, some had signs of rust in places, some looked very second hand.
So I sent them off for a small holiday to my local platers (Acme Platers - no coyote jokes please) for a zinc spa, and they came back like this:
Automotive lighting Body jewelry Earrings Font Jewellery

Vertebrate Organism Mammal Headgear Fish

And yes, they really are that shiny. Total cost was $23 (that's about 11 quid to you).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,346 ·
All white now....
Well, after another 10 hours getting the front end ready for paint it seemed rude not to paint it.
Unfortunately, with both garages stuffed to the gunnals with cars, bikes and shiny stuff there just wasn't enough space to get around it to paint it. This looks like a job for Supergazebo!
Property Sky Tent Tarpaulin Shade

Sky Cloud Plant Shade Tarpaulin

With the temperature here in the mid 20's and a gentle breeze it was actually a very nice painting environment, evidenced by the finished article which I'm very happy with.

Automotive design Fender Gas Composite material Auto part

And at the end of the day, still with no space the only place to put it was on the car:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

And whilst I was chucking solvents around I resolved another problem.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

Yes that is a drip. You're welcome!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,350 ·
A bit of a rest from painting, I need to find a place to put the boost controller.
Cameras & optics Musical instrument accessory Gadget Font Camera accessory

This needs to be visible and accessible, but most of the (limited) available space is taken up with gauges, switches or fuses and relays.
Except, that is, for:
Communication Device Bumper Gas Gadget Electric blue

The padded panel that sits between the bottom of the dash and the trans-tunnel and hides wiring and various plumbing hoses. It's one of the only parts of the car that I haven't made twice. Yet.
The trim was unceremoniously ripped from the panel like skinning a snake and a plan was hatched:
Electronic device Gas Rectangle Font Gadget

With the plan....er.....planned I waded into making the boost controller panel. This was made from 10 separate pieces of aluminium glued together with some electric glue:

Audio equipment Gas Temperature Machine Gadget

Panel re-trimmed and controller console polished and fitted. The two fuses are for the boost controller and the line-lock relay which sits behind the panel.
Corded phone Telephone Telephony Communication Device Gadget

Corded phone Telephone Telephony Communication Device Gas

"Enough of this," I hear you cry, "you are neglecting the most important part of this car!"

Oh no, dear reader, I'm not:

Gas Automotive tire Fluid Motor vehicle Engineering

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,355 · (Edited)
Well, after the sneak-preview of the engine last week, here it is with the covers actually bolted on. The sump and engine mounts are now in in place, and the odd pulleys have found their way on:

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Machine Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas

Blue Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle registration plate Bumper Gas

The breathers are temporarily capped until the engine is in place, but there was no need not to have them custom anodised to match the rest of the fittings........

So now the engine is ready to fit there were a couple of things I needed to fix to the bulkhead which would have been difficult with the engine in place:

Grey Wood Automotive exterior Gas Hood

The top 'bellows' is for the throttle linkage, and the lower AN fitting is for the wiring loom/boost hose/oil pressure hose and water temperature capillary. These will all pass through a length of -16AN stainless steel hose to keep all of the wiring/hoses tidy and largely hidden.

The doors have now got catches and release handles fitted, and the hinges have their correct bolts in and tightened for (hopefully) the last time. The boot lid, lock and hinges are now in place but as none of this was particularly photo-worthy I didn't bother. Suffice to say the doors now close with a satisfying 'clunk' and open as they should.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,358 ·
Pressing on...
Xtreme racing twin-plate sintered paddle clutch on LS flywheel now mated the Ford Modular engine:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Light Locking hubs Automotive tire

I did a post about how I went about this some time ago. This is the first time it's been mounted up on the engine and it actually fits!

And now that the clutch is on it seems rude not to ......

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Fluid

Now there's a million things to bolt up and wire in, but progress none-the-less.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

1341 - 1360 of 1398 Posts