Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

1956 ????? (that's wrong..40's?) Austin Blue Hot rod

Check picture 8 the jag irs, No straps between the inner wishbones and the bottom plate is bent....

Just contacted the seller with my concerns and got told

you obviouly dont know what yr on about as the back has all strenth bars that it needs people like you should be struck off ebay

- fht6916

·
richard rawlplug
8,132 Posts
engine is listed as a 4.2,,,,then further in the listing its now a 5.4....??

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
quote "it has had a new engine with head gaskets"
:shock:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

1956 ????? (that's wrong..40's?) Austin Blue Hot rod

Check picture 8 the jag irs, No straps between the inner wishbones and the bottom plate is bent....

Just contacted the seller with my concerns and got told

you obviouly dont know what yr on about as the back has all strenth bars that it needs people like you should be struck off ebay

- fht6916
probably jacked it up on the diffplate.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I believe this is the old "Sweet sixteen" Austin 16 which used to be all Jag' running gear if I remember right. Hence the 4.2 engine spec'. It' been up for grabs for a while and I was under the impression it had sold - via Ebay - but they are never sold until the cash has changed hands so could be a good reason for it being available again. Always used to be a nice car, as for bent bits - it was built back in about 1978 so by all rights is probably due a bit of spoodling.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
I've contacted sellers a few times to offer genuine advice if I thought it nessasery and got abused to. The last one was a £30,000 Land Rover 90 that was on a tax exempt log book. I thought I was being helpfull by telling him to be carefull because it was odviously not a 1966 model and the law was right up on this kind of thing being done with Land Rovers, and that they would take it away and crush it, and £30,000 was a lot to loose. I really got some stick off him for that. He must have checked it out though the listing was removed a few hours later. There's a Toyota Monster truck on there at the moment, top quality bit of kit with 4 wheel steer, the works. It has never been mot'd or taxed since built though. The seller says it will fly an mot, I was going to email him to say it may be a good idea to get it mot'd and stick 6 months tax on it, it would give people more confidence in it, he's asking nearly £11k for it, so less than £200 spent on it so it could be driven away seems like a good idea to me. I didn't bother in the end though, I would have only been told to sod off :shake:

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
I won't swear to it but that looks like Nick Lewin's old Austin. Nick lived in Wigston when I lived in Oadby just outside Leicester. I striped and lettered the bulkhead for him. Must have been in 1982 I guess. It was a great car back then, triple carb 3.8 Jag straight six.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I've contacted sellers a few times to offer genuine advice if I thought it nessasery and got abused to. The last one was a £30,000 Land Rover 90 that was on a tax exempt log book. I thought I was being helpfull by telling him to be carefull because it was odviously not a 1966 model and the law was right up on this kind of thing being done with Land Rovers, and that they would take it away and crush it, and £30,000 was a lot to loose. I really got some stick off him for that. He must have checked it out though the listing was removed a few hours later. There's a Toyota Monster truck on there at the moment, top quality bit of kit with 4 wheel steer, the works. It has never been mot'd or taxed since built though. The seller says it will fly an mot, I was going to email him to say it may be a good idea to get it mot'd and stick 6 months tax on it, it would give people more confidence in it, he's asking nearly £11k for it, so less than £200 spent on it so it could be driven away seems like a good idea to me. I didn't bother in the end though, I would have only been told to sod off :shake:
I did the same recently when someone had a woodie imported from the USA (a 1940 built on a modern chassis) and it was on TAX exempt. He didn't give me any grief as I expalined that I was membership sec of the Woodie Car Club and I think he hoped I'd encourage them to go for it, but to be honest it was them I was more interested in helping. He said he had no problem registering and inporting it. I have never seen the forms that have to filled in nowadays when importing so I don't know if the cars origin or originality is questioned.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I won't swear to it but that looks like Nick Lewin's old Austin. Nick lived in Wigston when I lived in Oadby just outside Leicester. I striped and lettered the bulkhead for him. Must have been in 1982 I guess. It was a great car back then, triple carb 3.8 Jag straight six.
I'm sure I looked at the same car in Countesthorpe around 91/92 ish, was it Austintasious (sp) or the like...???

Lovely exhausts on the ebay car... :puke:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
i nearly went to look at that austin but i was put off by a few things like the lack of tie straps on the axle and i asked about the tracking and he said he would recommend trailoring it :shocked:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts