Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Chelsea Cruise 45th Anniversary

6K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  alleykat 
#1 · (Edited)
Chelsea Cruise 45th Anniversary. IT'S BACK ON.

As a lot of you know already as you have seen it on Facebook May 30th is the 45th Anniversary of the Chelsea Cruise , It died in the 90s mainly due to the hot hatch crowd . I restarted It back in September 2004 and it's been ok in the summer months but not so good in the winter.

Hopefuly this is going to be a big one as there's a lot of interest already , someone has arranged for a film crew to be there to capture the whole night and interview some people \:D/ , If you have nothing to do that night why not come along to see what it's all about. Chelsea Bridge / Battersea Park from 7pm

#5 ·
:yeahthat:

You might be right about the cruise having to focus on summer in order to improve the turnout, John, but for that to happen would require some degree of organisation. The fact that the cruise has never had an organiser is a good thing - proper cruising is supposed to happen spontaneously.

Anyway, as has already been said: May's cruise - be there! But also go to April's and June's &c, &c...

#6 ·
Hi. Can you clarify if the Battersea area is within the "Congestion charge zone". I only ask for not only me but for those who have never attended and are put off by the mention of all these congestion and LEZ zones. Last Chelsea Cruise I attended was late 1999 and on the way home almost ran over Alastair Stewart as he exited ITV studios and wasn't looking where he was going! I said to my shotgun mate "Isn't that Alistair St...WTF" swerving to miss him.

#9 ·
Route will be, over Chelsea Bridge and either carry straight on to Sloane square then left on to Kings Road carry on until just after the Town Hall then turn left on to Oakley Street, up to the lights then left on to the embankment and back around again, or over Chelsea bridge and turn left, down to the lights then it's a right on to Oakley Street down to the lights turn right on to Kings Road down to Sloane Square around the square left into Sloane Street up to the lights at Chelsea Bridge and turn right and do it again.........We want car moving both ways so that the camera men can get it all..............Basically it's a big oblong going both ways.

#12 ·
I think it's going to be mega Derek. Let's hope we can keep the garbage hot hatch crowd from taking up all the decent parking spaces. They 'piggy-back' off the back off the terrific muscle cars and rods we bring, deludedly thinking people want to see their crap. Harsh , but true, I wish they'd have their own cruise nights, but they know that no-one's interested in seeing cars that you could see in the Asda car park any day of the week....

#14 ·
Someone mentioned at Krispy Kreme that, due to the anticipated large turnout, entry to Battersea Park would only be by pre-paid tickets. Sounds spurious to me but I thought I'd better ask here whether it's correct or not.

#20 ·
IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S BACK ON, PLEASE READ......................................................Chelsea cruise 45th UPDATE:
Due to lockdown:
THE OFFICIAL 45TH CHELSEA CRUISE CELEBRATION WILL NOW BE RE SCHEDULED FOR LATER THIS YEAR WHEN ITS SAFE FOR EVERYONE
We also hope to do it for the NHS as a (charity cruise)
So will keep you all posted thanks

.................................UNOFFICALLY................................

IF ANYONES STILL UP TO CRUISE AROUND ON THE SAT 30TH MAY PLEASE AVOID BATTERSEA PARK AND DRIVE UP DOWN THE KINGS RD FROM 7PM ( both directions )

PLEASE BE SAFE
& KEEP YA DISTANCE
BATTERSEA PARK MAY HAVE RESTRICTED PARKING ON SAT 30th MAY SO CRUISERS MAYBE TURNED AWAY AT THE GATE BY THE PARK POLICE :
So most cruisers will be driving up and down the kings rd in both directions like the good old days

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ORGANISED EVENT OR AN ORGANISED GATHERING , NO ONE RUNS THE CHELSEA CRUISE LIKE MINDED PEOPLE ROLL UP AND CRUISE AROUND
SO NOBODY CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYONE'S ACTIONS WHEN THEY TURN UP ON THE NIGHT & CRUISE ..........

#22 ·
What a great night,just got back,bloody m4 closed yet again.great to get one of my cars out and see and meet others,good turn out,some new stuff I haven’t seen before too,busiest i have seen it for a long time and it was so much better with less traffic,no sitting in jams,no parking in the park and loads more cruising.sorry didn’t get photos as spent most the night up and down kings road and surrounding areas.

#23 ·
So true, everyone was saying how much more they enjoyed it, very laid back, no traffic getting there.
As I left I saw some cops on motorbikes, seemed to be moving all the rods on?
I didn't take any pics but before I reached home someone in Hereford was messaging me with pics of my car on Kings Road, I guess they'll be on FB.

#24 ·
Yes, it was a brilliant night, probably the best cruise I've been to.

Reactions: chevrolet50
#30 ·
We had a really good night,busiest I have seen it for years with decent cars again,just a shame more never came along and supported it.it was ideal conditions,hardly any traffic,hardly any idiots until really late.still there loss not ours,great turn out,great cars and a great bunch of people

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.