Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found this on You tube, great footage of the old days.

Please post your old pic's and videos and tell us your stories from days gone by......

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
i recognise the orenge Pop on there....V6 powered and owened by Richard Coney who wrote the model car pages in the mags Classic American and must of been Street Machine after Mr Ross

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that a few of us have now been there and done that a few times where the " Chelsea Cruise " threads are concerned, but the threads of the past seem to concentrate on certain eras or years, lets make this a general thread covering all past " Chelsea Cruise's " from back in the 70's right through to the present day.........

Obviously the older the better, but what we want is your memories of great nights out, spent cruisin and having fun, faces of the past, the cars you dreamed you could never own, the cars you still can only dream of.....

Bring it back to life.............

We all want to here what happened in the backs of them cars, the deals that were done, the races that took place and the horrer stories that may have been.

Dont be shy, post it, people love to read about it

:D

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite a few of my friends nowadays, were driving cool cars way back when ( You all know who you are :D ), I used to beg them every month to take me with them whan I was 10 years old, sometimes they would and sometime I would have to ride up there with my brother and our other young mates on our BMX bikes.........., this remained the same every month until we both learned to drive, Yes we was the ones doing the wheelies the full length of the bridge on the BMX bikes and flicking the numbers out of the sides of the 137 buses every month.....:pmsl:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Late '70's early '80's , an XJ6 that always used to 'drift' sideways around the roundabout by the garage. Drifting, ha ha, so the Jap boys think they invented it !
I remember the crowds 4/5 deep either side of road from the bridge to the garage & surging into the road to stop anything that looked like it had any power & not letting it through till it had done a burnout.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
mid 70s

I went to heston services in the mid 70s
saturday nights meet up cruise around
if chelsea was on that night we would drive there
My mate had a white rusty 57 convertible with patchs spot welded
on the outside the original rat motor
but the engine was a stronge 283 manuel
I had a 1950 chevy 6 pot back then
good times
He tossed me the keys one night at chelsea said he'ed never herd the 57 flat out
so got first at the lights got the green and Yeeeehaaa went passed the tea stall the other side of the bridge at a bit over 30
No coppers back then
Mick:tup:

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have many fond memories of the Chelsea Cruise, but one that really springs to mind is this....

I was outside the Albert pub, just by the traffic lights, the street was just awash with wicked cars, everyone was screaming at the people in the cars to get them doing burnouts and other silly things....:incheek:

All of a sudden a well known black and flamed sit up and beg Pop stops in the middle of the road and decides to do a 180 back the other way, it was held well, the crowd loved it, but fuck me it looked scary, both the wheels came off the ground and I honestly thought it was going over.

Priceless :D

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Early memories of the bridge are outside the pub on the other side of the park (Prince Albert ?) and the chippie down the road by the garage done wicked chips (i must of been 9-10)

Strange thing is i proberly went more than once as my old man used to own the coach yard just under the bridge's on latchmere rd next door to Fred's but thats the only memory i have

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I remember walking down all the side turnings around the Albert, looking at loads of great cars parked everywhere......Oh Happy Daze :pmsl:

Seeing Martin Bonners high riding 55 parked up, and alphabets yella 30 model A....

It really did feel like I had been a part of American Grafitti and was re-living it on the embankment of the Thames

Oh but to be 14 years old again..........:incheek:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Wish i was 40 again let alone 14:tup: Remember going up with my mate when he had the Ford Pop Moondust from Southend. We came over the bridge heading towards the roundabout in 1977. On the right handside there was the police pulling any car that look different over and inspecting every little bit. As we went by the under way you could see the cops looking at Moondust. So we never came back on that side of the road.:tdown: Sometimes after the Cruise we would go to Heston Services with the Sprit of the Fifties. We wuold get home when the sun came up:tup: Remember Martin Bonner and Mick Hall street racing down Trinity Rd i think. Great nights. We used to go home past Wapping loads of police because of the Sun newspaper dispute Thatcher days. I will not get on to politics:tdown: Little Stew used to call my 55 'Nice Humber Mate' he know it was a Chevy:D

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
I went to heston services in the mid 70s
saturday nights meet up cruise around
if chelsea was on that night we would drive there
My mate had a white rusty 57 convertible with patchs spot welded
on the outside the original rat motor
but the engine was a stronge 283 manuel
I had a 1950 chevy 6 pot back then
good times
He tossed me the keys one night at chelsea said he'ed never herd the 57 flat out
so got first at the lights got the green and Yeeeehaaa went passed the tea stall the other side of the bridge at a bit over 30
No coppers back then
Mick:tup:
I remember that 57! Got some pics here someplace. We discussed it in a past thread.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
My fondest memory was driving my hi-riding Humber on open headers to Chelsea from Gravesend in about 86/87 , I did one lap of the cruise before I was pulled over by the police right outside the Albert - the policeman said it was not so much the noise (455 big block Pontiac ) but the flames on the over run that worried every policeman on the circuit . The policeman had called up some colleagues who arrived on motorbikes (to the tune of "Chips" sang by now the quite large crowd of bystanders) to go over the gasser - the only thing they could find wrong was that the blanking plates had fallen off my headers! I got a 14 day repair ticket and told to go straight home , I fired the car up to leave when my mate and co-pilot pipped up " you might as well do a burnout you got f**k all to lose " we made it to the petrol station on the roundabout where I put the header caps back on and crept back home !This the car not at Chelsea !!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
I got pulled there back in about '78/'79 in a lowered-off rat hot 428 powered '66 Galaxie 7LTR coupe - and being told that the 3 1/2" tailpipes leading from the Thrush glass packs were running under the rear axle and they would scrape the ground, and that I should go home. Couldn't really say "you're talking a load of 'kin old cobblers bill" as the exhausts didn't scrape - but the front crossmember did scrape on ramps into gas stations, not that theres anything illegal with that :wanker:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hello Ken (Redmad). Dont think it's my old 57. The grill on mine was matt black and the only sticker I had on front screen was a SOTF one. And I dont think mine was ever that shiny. Real sorry to here of your woes at the secret cafe. Regards. Ken.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Memories of the Chelsea Cruise. I can remember when it took a couple of hours and a tank full of gas just to make one circuit.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I remember walking down all the side turnings around the Albert, looking at loads of great cars parked everywhere......Oh Happy Daze :pmsl:

Seeing Martin Bonners high riding 55 parked up, and alphabets yella 30 model A....

It really did feel like I had been a part of American Grafitti and was re-living it on the embankment of the Thames

Oh but to be 14 years old again..........:incheek:
Yep if you was 14 again you'd be asking to wash my Impala so I would take you on the cruise. Just had to remind you. Cruising in a 61 Impala probably beat riding a BMX bike, right?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
57 pics

I remember that 57! Got some pics here someplace. We discussed it in a past thread.
Hello mate
If you could find those pics I would like to see it again
I was never into taking photos back then
You know live for the day and all that
Regards Mick

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Will dig out the old pics tonight Mick. There are a number of old Heston regulars on here. At the time you went up in the 57 I had a yellow 59 Plymouth.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts