Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dub driving rodder wanabe
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sadly come to the conclusion that my '67 Vw splitty project is gonna take me far too long to complete (driveway resto) despite making good progress so far.
It was shipped from the states by myself and now I have pretty much convinced myself that I want a Chevy pickup circa 1949 or 1957.
I like the single headlight option as opposed to the apache style.

I have read quite a few decent books on the pickups and been trawling through US ebay. I have seen quite few for what I consider to be a decent price with shipping.

My main question is, apart from the weight (obviously) whats the diffrence between a 1/2 tonne and a 3/4 tonne?
Where is the extra weight, is the bed longer? Are the cab/door/front end panels interchangeable?

Any help greatly appreciated.

This is the one I would have bid on if the camper had been sold -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...330389013546&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab=Watching

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
1/2 ton and 3/4 ton refers to the weight they can carry , I think the 3/4 ton trucks have a longer bed and obviously heavier suspension , not sure if the chassis itself is any longer but I'm 99.9% the cabs are the same .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah the 3/4 ton trucks have a longer bed and beefed up running gear. the cab and front end panels should all be the same.

bare in mind if your importing from the states that pre 1950 trucks get taxed 5% duty and no VAT where as post 49 trucks get taxed a wopping 22% duty and 17.5% VAT!! because they are classed as commercial vehicles... bastards!

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
3100 is short bed 3200 is long bed, 3/4 ton has helper springs which can be removed, 55 to 59 front sheet metal will interchange, and the chassis is longer on long bed, i have a long bed so if you need any more help pm me, i also have a 59 sububan and the chassis is the same, if you need parts there are supplyers here, and i have numbers for people in the us:tup:

·
Dub driving rodder wanabe
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, in particular the last.
That was my only concern with buying one really, geting the parts.
I know you can buy most of the part sbut didnt really fancy having to source everything from the US. Its such a ball ache with the waiting time and the roulette of import duty.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
You could prob get 1 over here in that state for about the same as importing 1,there's someone at a farm on the M5,M50 strenhem services junction that has a few check google earth you need to drive to the service station and turn left in to the first car par then on to the road there to get to it from what I'm told ,also there's a shop called chevy motors on ebay uk that has a lot of parts + dannys, as well i own a 57 chevy truck 1/2t.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
One other difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton chevy trucks is that the 3/4 ton has 8 stud wheel fixings, much more limiting for brake and wheel upgrades than the 1/2 ton six bolt setup.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
One other difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton chevy trucks is that the 3/4 ton has 8 stud wheel fixings, much more limiting for brake and wheel upgrades than the 1/2 ton six bolt setup.
not on the 55/to 59 mines a 56 and came with 6stud:whistle:

·
Registered
93 Posts
There isn,t much you can,t change on these trucks! we have five at the shop and most were all of of the above at some point! the latest one we are doing was/is a 59 long bed on which we have changed to a five Stud wheel pattern, (Must II Front End) shortend the Rear Chassis and fitted a new Short Bed, and although we have removed it the truck Had the Stock front axle with Five stud Hubs that had been Changed at some point!

·
Registered
93 Posts
There isn,t much you can,t change on these trucks! we have five at the shop and most were all of of the above at some point! the latest one we are doing was/is a 59 long bed on which we have changed to a five Stud wheel pattern, (Must II Front End) shortend the Rear Chassis and fitted a new Short Bed, and although we have removed it the truck Had the Stock front axle with Five stud Hubs that had been Changed at some point!
As for the Front sheetmetal the 49-53 are the same but the 54.and 55 1st series are different, the cabs are the same. The 55-56-57 have the same Fenders but the 57 has different Hood, Grille, and front panel, the 58-59 apache has Different Front sheetmetal but the cabs are all the Same.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
57 wings are diffrent from 55/56 they have cut out for the grill to sit in:D have you any pics of the trucks you guys have done i would like a look as love these truck, i have jag front suspention on my 2, but having seen the price of mustang 11 stuff compared to jag stuff mustang may work out the better option:tup:

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
arent the Second series ones with 8 lugs 3600's?

·
Registered
93 Posts
57 wings are diffrent from 55/56 they have cut out for the grill to sit in:D have you any pics of the trucks you guys have done i would like a look as love these truck, i have jag front suspention on my 2, but having seen the price of mustang 11 stuff compared to jag stuff mustang may work out the better option:tup:
Thanks for pointing out about the 57 wings they look the same and must admit i wasn,t sure about the Grille cut out! i will see about maybe posting
some pics on a new thread as i don,t want to steal this one? all the trucks we have in right now are Having Must II fitted it,s a clean way of doing things
and you have options of air ride, coilovers, Ect! Two of the trucks had Front Clips fitted one Jag and one Camaro the Jag needed a total Rebuild at a cost!!and the Camaro apart from being fitted very badly was also too wide! but in the end both were Worthy of the Gas Axe!

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
i think you may be on to something? does the 3600 look like a bigger version? more like a small lorry but with all the same features:?:
1st series 3600s are definitely 3/4 ton with 8 lug wheels. AFAIK the second series 3/4 tons had 8 lug wheels too. Someone earlier in this thread said not so. Maybe some confusion because second series half ton trucks were available with both short and long bed.

Edit: Chevy manual does list second series 3600 3/4 ton trucks as having eight lug wheels:
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/56184.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts