Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get a friends 52 truck back up and running , prefer a 235 but a known good 216 would do at a push.

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
kev, i have an unknown s/six which is curently in a 40 chev up in oxford, good running engine (i think Sean might even be at Sins with it this weekend)
let me speak to him on monday to find out when it's coming out and I'll bell you then.
reason it's unknown is that the engine number is completely differant to normal chevy six numbers, i "think" it's a 235 pre oiler (so 49-51 vintage) but i'm really not certain.
logistics might be a bit awkward (i'm in bath, you are in Pompey, and the engine is in Oxford) but we can prob work something out?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
guys, in in Didcot (very nr Oxford) so if it came to it and the truck could be bought over here i could pull the motor out and store for a few days, if it'd help :)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well as soon as my truck reg is sorted I'll finally have something with a tow hitch for my trailer. Sounds promsing Taff, keep me informed ?

Thanks Chris, you just want me round to sample the tea ,or was that T ?:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Tell me to keep my nose out of things, but beware of straight six engines from cars, your unknown engine might be a 194, it looks like a 232, same block, but it will not fit !
You probably know this already so Ill shut up!
regards Nick

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, I know NOTHING about Chevy straight sixes, gonna have to take photos of the one in my mates truck to compare .

·
Lowlander
444 Posts

got an original 6cyl here out of a 57 car,bit smokey on start-up,starts and runs well,no noises etc... manual box converted to floor change with indy shifter...perfect clutch £200...in romford

·
Registered
610 Posts
Nope, I know NOTHING about Chevy straight sixes, gonna have to take photos of the one in my mates truck to compare .
Kev you are right on the cu inch sizes. They were used on all Chevs from 39ish up to early 60's. I don't know where the 194 and 232 sizes come from on the other post.

Just talking to Jeff Marshall today after he towed my Chevy home from Hayling (big ends gone) Karen has got a good 215 in her 46 pick up which is I believe is for sale. I'd have it myself but after a 235.

If you want to check any engine numbers let me know. I have a reference chart somewhere.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Chris . I'l give you a shout shortly about picking it up, still suffering at the mo :tdown: Can you run a tape over the length to make sure it'll fit in my trailer please ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts