Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2092 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
looks like you'll have to narrow the front track a lot to get any steering lock with that ride height. as above the chop is cool!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
heres some of the bits i have collected for the build over the years.
rover sdi box, five speed.
avo coilovers for the jag front end.
320mm front disc,s
jag front suspension.
and a 3.5 rover with a holley carb which i can use a turbo with.more pics soon.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
just bagged a good deal on a complete rover 3.5 with all the bits to run on gas out of rang rover, sweeeeetttt. can now strip mine to the block and use it for set up.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
all goes well i should have a rear axle this weekend so next week i can start to get it narrowed and mod the bottom arms.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
finally got a jag rear axle, 5 hour round trip but worth it.

big thanks to julian for stripping it so i could get it in the boot.:tup:

while the chassis is being sorted i will get on and narrow the rear end which will involve shortening the axle shafts and making new bottom wishbones allready have a good idea how to do it so i better get on with it.you might of noticed that its a newer rear, makes it a bit more of a challenge.more as i go.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
that'll be x300 series xj rear then. they went back to being more like a proper jag irs than the granada/bmw/mercedes type rears on the xj40. except with sensible outboard brakes. good luck with it. :tup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
things are going a bit slow at the moment , were busy at work so chris has not had time to get every thing on cad. saying that he say,s he will get front cross member cut next week.torn the jag irs apart ready for narrowing , got to take 12" out to make it fit.more as i go.

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
things are going a bit slow at the moment , were busy at work so chris has not had time to get every thing on cad. saying that he say,s he will get front cross member cut next week.torn the jag irs apart ready for narrowing , got to take 12" out to make it fit.more as i go.
good build,where abouts in lancashire are you :tup:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well I have never seen one of these jag axles narrowed before? This will be interesting ?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
finally got to cut something up today, the rear wishbones.
had a measure and sorted out where to cut them and went for it.this is how it looks with 6" removed.

with the wishbone cut like this it goes back together the way it came apart.
get the other one cut tomorrow and get all the bits ready to weld back together.:tup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
got most of the wishbones welded today.

just got a piece to weld in one side and there done.

get the halfshafts stripped by friday so i can get them to the machine shop for shortening.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
rear wishbones done , just got shock mounts to weld on but i will do them when i get it mounted on the chassis.

got the axles yokes stripped today ready to go and get shortened by 6"
happy with the rear axle looks better than i thought it would. going to mount the diff from the top instead of from underneath like on the jag. my only concern is the shear size of it and the weight.for this reason i am going to use all the support braces that were on it and i still think it will look okay (you it has to look good as well as work right ). more as i go :bigsmile:

21 - 40 of 2092 Posts