Rods 'n' Sods banner

41 - 60 of 2092 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
just a little update .
got the rear wishbones back from the blasters , even gave them a coat of etch primer.

really pleased with them they dont even look modded. also the drive shafts are at the machine shop being narrowed so things are moving along all be it a bit slow at the moment.:)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
bit dissapointed with the machine shop , i dont know what the going rate is for machining stuff but £120 quid for each drive shaft seems a bit steep , so i guess i will have to do them myself .

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
bit dissapointed with the machine shop , i dont know what the going rate is for machining stuff but £120 quid for each drive shaft seems a bit steep , so i guess i will have to do them myself .
how long since you had any machining done? try trevd on here, he's very good.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
i have normally done it my self in the past, the shafts wont fit in the lathe we have at work so i thought i would get them done else where.but i now know how i can do them and save myself a few quid in the process.:D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes very nice top work:tup:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
cheer,s
i know theres not much to show yet but im a bit stuck untill the chassis gets cut.

got the wishbones bolted back on the diff and the hubs.

one thing not sure on is where the prop bolts on its not centre of the diff , do i centre the prop in the chassis or centre the diff. if you centre the prop then that will make the wishbones different lengths.:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
prop's normally slightly off centre. drive shafts same length.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
cheers for that , did not think i had ever seen one with wonky drive shafts.

started the drive shafts today. skimmed them down to get a uniform size then cut them in half.mounted one end in the chuck on the lathe then drilled it 25mm.

still got to m/c the over end with a 25mm spigot so the two parts can be pressed together then welded.more as i go.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
got one drive shaft fully m/c just wants welding.heres what the old one looked like compared with the 6" shorter m/c one.

get the other one done and that will be it for the rear axle,

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
yes that is what i have done(drilled one half and turned the over down to suit) as the shafts are solid.have done a 2 thou interference fit so they have to be pressed together and then of coarse welded. should be strong enough, hopefully:bigsmile:

before i press the other one together i will post some pics.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
heres a step by step of how i have done the driveshafts.

located the drive shaft between centres and m/c it to clean up the casting.

turned down the spigot end to 25mm

once there at finish size remove from lath and cut drive shaft into two pieces leaving plenty on the end which is to be drilled 25mm so you can hold it in the chuck .

this is how it looks before the two pieces are pressed together
then it just wants welding up.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
got the rear axle back together.

sort of looks like it,s always been this way.
chris at work is trying to speed up getting the front crossmember done so this will be the next job.still have to change the stud pcd on the rear axle but i will sort that out another time.

41 - 60 of 2092 Posts