Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to lower the austin about 2- 2 1/2" on the front, question is how many coils would i need to remove, the car in question is austin A30.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is this a trick question....?

Are you going to change the wheels or tires after the cut ?

Bob.....
hi bob, no its not a trick question, i have been told that the lower spring plate can be unbolted and a spacer put between the lower arm and the retaining plate thus lowering the spring through the lower arm, this i am a little unsure of doing as it will mean the spring will be protruding through, thats why a thought about cutting the coil spring and lowering the car this way. ...on to the wheels and tyres, i have a choice, stock rims or mg midget

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Steve,

Cutting springs really isn't the way forward. It all depends on the rate, no of coils, rising rate, even rising damp( boom boom, tish)
For every coil you cut out you raise the rate considerably, i.e. same weight, less colis, spring is stiffer so will not compress as much.
If you cut enough out to lower it by a couple of inches, you'll be driving an ironing board, it'll be as stiff as and handle like one.
Moving the mount or getting some springs wound is the better option.
If you imagining uncoiling the spring into a long lehgth of rod, (which in essence a coil spring is a coiled up bar) and clamp one end in a vice and flex the rod (standard length) then imagine it with a foot cut off, it's a lot harder to flex (does that make sense?)
Boring myself now, if you would like me to pass you another egg to suck I have a fresh box in the fridge, I'll just boil them up for you

Yawn

Jeff

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cutting the springs will increase the rate but not a huge amount. You could space the spring pan but I don't think that would be a good idea beyond maybe 3/4" but useful for fine tuning the ride height if you want to. I cannot remember how many coils were cut from mine (its along time ago!) but I know it was done twice as it wasn't enough the first time. You have to watch out for the sump bouncing off the road though :lol:

Having said all that, new springs made up to a suitable length and rate is a much better solution than chopping.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've never done this, but this is the way I'd look at it. If you can get access to the spring while the car is at ride height now (ie, take the wheel off, and support the brake drum at the correct height), you can measure how far down the spring two inches is while it's compressed by the weight of the car. If you mark it there, and then remove the spring and cut it at that point, in theory you will have lowered it two inches? In practice I'd take a bit less than that off first and try it - it's much easier to remove metal again than it is to add it. Might take a bit of faffing about, but you should be able to get it how you want it.

Not familiar with the Austin front end set-up, but bear in mind lowering that far may well alter the geometry, so you may need to check/realign the camber and tracking afterwards.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chopping coil springs

cheers to all replys, i think i will take the spring seat down first and see what it looks like and then decide on a further plan of action if needed....steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts