Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know whatever happened to Chris Boyle?

He was quite an influence in Rodding on this side of the Atlantic thirty years ago, producing great Fibreglass repro's
of rod bodies/chassis, but since selling Rodline/34 Corner he has disappeared.
Personally I think he needs a statue erecting to him, or at least a knighthood for his contribution to the cause.
Chris are you still out there ???

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just remembering: I stayed with Chris in Bournemouth while doing a job for 'Custom Car'.
He prefered driving about in a Bright Red LWB GP Buggy Pickup,
The seats were un-upholstered Gel coat fibreglass, with no seat belts
- which made for a very interesting ride around town !!

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
And he told me some good info,is to build a wooden garage including floor for car building as you do not get condensation like in a concrete 1 ,he used old chicken sheds,as for size dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Chris is a Lovely bloke, in 79 i was 19yr old, at the Knebworth Nats with my beetle, he drove up in his red beetle, he was very complimentry about mine, and said he thought it would win best VW (a big trophy at the Nats back then) I said maybe it would have he had'nt turned up with his :), he said 'dont worry I wont be having mine in the showfield'
On about 15years i had one of his glass 34 sports saloon's had it for 5 years, the body was fabulous, perfect gaps, not one spider crack, anywhere, was as good the day I sold it as the day i bought it, a first class guy who backed up everything he said with first class workmanship. Bry

·
Super Moderator
7,401 Posts
Custom Car show at Ally Pally, I was sat in his VW split with him just talking vans......... Nice guy before he became famous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Custom Car show at Ally Pally, I was sat in his VW split with him just talking vans......... Nice guy before he became famous.
Living in Salisbury at the time I spent a lot of time at Chris and Marcia's just hanging out while he was building my chopped yellow bug, Hot Lemon, at the same time Virgin VW was on the scene and Crystal Surfer. All show cars covered by Custom Car.
This was the time before Chris was still into choppers and pre rods and the time that Moulin Rouge was being born.
He was still living in Ensbury Park Bournemouth at the time moving later to Hurn. I lost track after then where he went as I believe his Aunt died, left him some money and he evaporated into Europe. Strangely enough I always thought he would end up in the States like I have now for the past 13 years. It would be nice to catch up again as we had some good laughs and excellent sandwiches back in those innocent early 70's

·
Registered
833 Posts
He made some great bodies....I built two of Chris's offerings, 34 coupe(number12 out of the mould)and a 32 roadster...they did not need a lot of work and an excellent product.I always found him to be a nice guy to do business with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.