Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of 17" boots for my 68 stang, and as a big bling fan, am weighing up whether to buy a set of chrome wheels or polished alloy ones. I guess the polished alloy ones are better if the car gets kerbed as they are more easily repaired, but they don't shine as much as the chrome. I've read here that cheap chrome wheels can be a disaster, but a set of triple plated American racing wheels are what I had in mind. Does anyone have a set of chrome AM Racing wheels who can recommend them or am I better off steering clear of chrome on the whole? Cheers guys. J :tup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Had both chrome and polished rims on various machines, my 1st yank was a chevy beretta and bought 2nd hand chrome 16"s from a pt cruiser and it was apparent that some one had washed them with something not too kind on the chrome as there was some ghosting that would never polish out etc.
Had a motobike that i stripped off the paint on the wheels and polished up with the blocks n mop wheel kits that you can get. Looked ok for a while but being my daily soon got covered in crap and had to keep polished or a mammoth supply of metal polish to keep shiny

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,503 Posts
I'd go polished alloy. If the chromed ones are chrome plated steel, in my experience with chrome smoothies the chroming is poor quality and a few weeks of English weather will see rust coming through. I have no experience of chrome plated alloys, but at work we tin plate aluminium components and the plating has to be done by someone who knows the score with plating aluminium or it will start to peel. It requires a copper or nickel flash plating first and we seem to have problems once in a while with adhesion. Also, with aluminium alloys, if the plating is scratched corrosion is rapid (much quicker than if they were left bare) and looks a right mess.

·
Hammer-based simpleton
489 Posts
I had chrome wheels on my Mustang. Needed a fair bit of attention to keep rust-free, but I did use it every day, any weather. Bare alloy was a bigger pain in the chuff; had a bike with lots of it, inc wheels. Fighting the corrosion was a total pain, but again it was used all year. On another bike I 2k-cleared some polished ally engine covers, and that was still fine 2 yrs on when sold despite being front-facing and low down.
Suppose it depends also how you plan to use it, winter etc.
Never tried clear powdercoat, chickened out on my shiney bike in case it didn't hold. Maybe someone can say if it's good for shiney wheels or not. Possibly not, re stonechips and the like.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I had American Racing Torque Thrust IIs, polished and they were a nightmare to keep clean, especially with the brake dust on the front. I´ve also had a couple of sets of chrome, both original from Ford and after market and they are much easier to keep clean but the chrome will lift after a couple of years if you´re using them in the winter with the salt

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's going to be only driven in the dry hopefully and garaged over winter. I'm happy to cover the wheels with a barrier spray in the winter to keep the moisture out.
I know that brake dust is corrosive, so I'm not averse to cleaning them regularly like some old tart! I've seen som e great chromed wheels at Billing, the Damn Yankees, the RoG etc, surely they're okay if thet rarely see the wet and are chammyed of when in the garage?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I put my 55 on the road in may 2009 with a pair of brand new cragars on the front an a pair of oldish cragars on the back an I really looked after them,the back ones have not been a problem but the front are knackered,told it was the brake dust done it plus the fact fronts made in china rears made in usa.having them blasted an powder coated silver this winter,then looking for some alloys if I can find some I like.....cheers DAVE

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
It's going to be only driven in the dry hopefully and garaged over winter. I'm happy to cover the wheels with a barrier spray in the winter to keep the moisture out.
I know that brake dust is corrosive, so I'm not averse to cleaning them regularly like some old tart! I've seen som e great chromed wheels at Billing, the Damn Yankees, the RoG etc, surely they're okay if thet rarely see the wet and are chammyed of when in the garage?
All custom wheels are going to be high maintenance in one way or another. Chrome wheels, and especially USA manufactured chrome wheels suffer in the UK climate. Chromed ally wheels IMHO just look too bling and unreal and again can be high maintenance as the chrome rarely coveres all the nooks and crannies in the wheel property and frequently peels off. For my money ally wheels are the best option. Cast ally, like original Torque Thrusts are the most hardwearing. Billet alloy wheels with spun rims (like my Boyd JYD's) are fine, mine have been on for 4 years now - but don't take the car out on salted roads, or if you do wash down afterwards. I use American Racing wadding to polish them (wadding like the old Duraglit) or Mothers Billet polish and wax polish them afterwards. Clear lacquering is not such a good idea long term - dogs piss also turns it yellow!

Car has just been washed down - wheels are wet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.