Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just bought an Interceptor with a 440 sp engine, it has the original electric ignition, with god knows how much wiring and stuff, and as it's running like a bag of sh*te, wondered about replacing the whole electronic ensemble, for some thing aftermarket.
For what its worth when it does start it runs fine, but dies without warning, like you turned a switch, and will not re start imediatley, possibly the coil is suspect, even though it looks new; any help gratefully received (as usual)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the set up in the link, and I don't suppose the A/C works on my car either, so that would be a good place to put it, but I was thinking of something less involved , like a module type thing.....

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
sounds like the ignition module not being earthed correctly, if its not bolted to a clean earth it will play up. the original mopar ignition is ok for street use and gives little trouble, uprated ignition boxes are available for sensible cash, might have one here somewhere you can borrow to try and also a distributor. dont go for all the expensive stuff if its for a street car, its a waste of money. i probably have a points dizzy here too if you want to play with it to see how it goes.
the wireing isnt as bad as you think, i have all the diagrams here to show you what isnt needed.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
I like the set up in the link, and I don't suppose the A/C works on my car either, so that would be a good place to put it, but I was thinking of something less involved , like a module type thing.....
Hi Austin,

The Jensen in that link belongs to Pete the father of Jonathan "ThisYup". Jonathan fitted that Megajolt system on the Jensen, fitted the same system on his Y and also the Megajolt system on my Y, so he know's what he is doing.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys, am I right in thinking that the msd unit doesn't come with the trigger unit that goes inside the distributor?
Yes this is just for street use, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but it's a heavy car to push....

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
if it helps i dont think i spent any more than £300 on my complete set up .
the hardest bit was finding a edis 8 unit and crank sensor from a ford v8 .
coil packs from a focus (breakers )
megajolt new ( trigger wheels )
and you can run it from a lap top to advance and retard it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys, just thought I'd update this one, got a company in sunny baz(ildon) who put in a new module (not much bigger than a cashew nut!) and it runs brilliantly ; just 2 wires, one either side of the coil and vroom, all for less than £50!!

The next in depth question, is where will I get a new air filter for the std six pack / tri power box.

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
try duncan watts (cannonball on here) he may be able to help you source an air filter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
my 440 had a crap orange mopar box, would run then just die........it caused me no end and crap ballast resistors,pants, i swapped it for a msd streetfire box, cost £130 delivered think wasp in cambridge supplied it.get a good coil and either points or elec dizzy will trigger the msd unit, the 6al is a great ign,prices secondhand pushed down by the new msd digital range <mine not miss a beat now and for years <before knew better> put up with bad starting and breaking down lol! let us know how you getting on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts