Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd ask here to what others have done regarding claiming PPI back. Seems most folks I know have made a successful claim. I had a loan with Halifax that finished roughly a year ago but I don't have any paperwork relating to it. Had a huge clear out and binned a lot of old paperwork.

Who/where is a good place to get the ball rolling and see if I'm due any refund? I also have it on my credit card and as with the loan never asked for it.

Should I talk to the bank or someone else?

Cheers Dan

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'd start with the bank; I think that they are so frightened by this scandal that they are past trying to cheat you (at least for this). The alternative is to contact one of the 'ambulance chaser' firms but they work on % so would take a chunk of your money for their services

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike i'll start with the bank and see if I can get more details from them. I wasn't going to bother however my niece has just got over £2K and been bugging me to chase it up. nothing to lose so see what happens.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
over 20 years ago my mate and i went into business together,took out life assurance policy,last year my mate said he was going to give them a go at ppi,four weeks later got a cheque for £8,800 definatley worth a go as i wasnt expecting anything....that was £8800 each by the way,now waiting for a barclays one to go through,possibly the crappiest bank in the world,the bank that lost the deeds for our property that were in paid for secure storage

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dan, im currently claiming the PPI on my Halifax Credit card.
I went straight into my branch and they started sorting it out for me, they put you through to a helpline while you are in the branch.
They ask you a few questions and they send you a form to fill in, well i just got my form through and i will be sending it of soon.
Ive had my credit card for 10 years with Halifax and never remember asking for PPI

Chris

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
And the other side of this sorry tale . . . I worked in financial services and sold PPI against loans and credit cards on a number of occasions. I have a totally clear conscience and know that not once did I mis-sell it, be that selling it to someone who didn't realise they were getting it, selling it to someone who due to their circumstances could not benefit from it, or selling it to someone who didn't understand it. I do wonder though, how many of those customers have now simply claimed that they were conned in order to get a nice fat refund cheque. People complain about getting ripped off by banks and the like (quite rightly so) but most, given the opportunity are quite happy to rip off the banks given the chance.

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fogey as I'm not ripping anyone off I'm happy. Saying that if was ripping them off it's no worse than the years of their outrageous charges, robbing bastards. Feeling sorry for the banks isn't something happening anytime soon. My father was a bank manager so I know how staff were motivated to get PPI with every loan and card:shake:

I've booked an appointment with the bank tomorrow so i'll see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Fogey as I'm not ripping anyone off I'm happy. Saying that if was ripping them off it's no worse than the years of their outrageous charges, robbing bastards. Feeling sorry for the banks isn't something happening anytime soon. My father was a bank manager so I know how staff were motivated to get PPI with every loan and card:shake:

I've booked an appointment with the bank tomorrow so i'll see what they have to say.
I wasn't accusing you of ripping off anyone - sorry if it came over that way. Not defending the banks either - after 16 years I was bloody glad to get out. Just pointing out that it is now easy for people who willingly agreed to PPI and fully understood what they were paying for to now claim otherwise.

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fogey all's good fella and understand what you mean about folks jumping on the money wagon. TBH I wasn't going to bother, I've got enough going on right now but my neice, bless her, has been nagging at me to find out. I'm not over lucky so I'm not getting my hopes up, probably find out I owe them for some bizarre reason.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I had a go at claiming through one of them firms ( no win no fee) but 30% if they were succsesfull I was under the impression you just gave them your name and address etc and they did a search of past credit / loans etc and did the rest, but we still ended up digging out all old paperwork trying to remember loans dates and with who they were with, filled out loads of forms (a seperate one for each claim) we done all the legwork and still got Foook All but thats no surprise as if it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.
Kev

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha Kev you've got my luck, naff all !!! I really don't know how it all works and I'm sure it's not that simple. I do know It was "sold" to me somewhere down the line but how on earth do you prove that?

I'll see them tomorrow and lets say I'm not planning a steak dinner for afterwards.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go to Reclaim PPI for Free: How to claim £1000s - Money Saving Expert it is free & Martin Lewis knows all the facts. I claimed back several thousand, I was properly mis-sold PPI as I was told I wouldn't get the loan without it, even though the work I was in at the time meant I would not be able to claim. DO NOT use a PPI claimback firm, you could end up owing them money even if they are successful.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Dan. Claimed 1 of mine back,just by down loading the form on the Money saver.com page. Some guy on the telly. Don't know his name as I don't have a telly. Worked great and easy to fill in. Used the same form with Barclays. They have been a bunch of c*nts. 3 years later still still no further forward. Lost the form. Can't find the account no's etc. So you takes your choice....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
A lot of finance forms used to have a box for PPI, the forms came with a tick in the box already printed

So a lot of these claims are just nodded through because the banking/loan companies know what they are guilty of

·
Registered
748 Posts
How does the payment part work???
Do they just simply give you a refund for the amount you have paid in PPI?
Do you get a compensation as well as the amount you have paid in PPI?

Just wondering how they based the payments cause i have had the same credit card for 10 years!!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree with normalbloke, PPI is so up thee with "whiplash".

If you really must do it, DO NOT, whatever you do, go with a claims management company. There is absolutely NO point. You'll get exactly the same outcome from the bank as you will from them, only the CMC will take part of the money the bank would give directly to you.

Don't encourage these parasites of society to prosper

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The thing I like is people who say they were told "I couldn't get the loan without PPI".

That's probably true and fine. The bank have looked at your finances, and looked at the reliability, and they want the added reassurance of getting money back. It's not that they won't let you apply without PPI, it's that you'd get your application declined because the bank don't want the risk.

That is not mis-selling.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.