Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It is a little known fact that the "Powered by Ford" badges were originally an anti-theft measure. It was thought that thieves, seeing a desirable car would, on coming close, read the badge and be put off the idea.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
To be honest I really don't understand the whole Chev/Ford debate; must be an American thing.

It's even stranger in the cobra replica world - people who drive a plastic cobra with Jaguar suspension and pretty much no orginal parts get suddenly precious about what engine is fitted.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Finally got started on welding some pipe together for the manifolds.

P1040268.JPG

I managed to scrounge an old 283 block which, together the heads I have spare allow me to set up and weld off the car which makes life a lot easier.

P1040269.JPG

Working out where bits of bent pipe go in 3D space I find quite mind boggling, certainly one of the more difficult jobs I've attempted.
P1040270.JPG

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Certainly not in the same league as your stainless steel snake-fest but the clearances are SO tight. I'm still not sure whether I'll be able to take it on and off when its finished, or what to do about it if I can't!

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is a little known fact that the "Powered by Ford" badges were originally an anti-theft measure. It was thought that thieves, seeing a desirable car would, on coming close, read the badge and be put off the idea.
The 'Powered by Ford badges' were there because in the early days Ford did not want to be associated with a Chicken Farmer and his little British sports car, they reluctantly agreed a little later once he had won the odd race, however as time went by that changed, interestingly the Ford sign never got any larger, maybe that was Shelby getting his own back, he did however start to use cast valve covers which said 'Powered by Ford'
A little known fact, Shelby original wanted the Chevy engine but GM declined as it would have conflicted with their Corvette Stingray racing in the same class.

Rog

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
They'd never have fitted "Powered by Chevrolet" on those little badges but a small plain bow-tie would have looked good in that location.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
won't the collector be pointing straight at the oil filter? or is it the angle of the pics that make it look that way?
neil.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Well spotted! It runs a remote filter so only two 90° fittings and an adapter plate go there. Also, from the collector the pipes turn right and dive down under the footwell to join the rest of the system.

It's all very tight.

P1040273.JPG

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
i'd be bolting the adapter and fittings onto the block so you can work round them. don't forget you don't really want an oil heater there or burnt oil lines.
neil.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I move the pipes onto the actual chassis from time to time (picture is just my welding dummy) and that has all the oil lines in place.

Once I'd welded the second pipe in place I found that I couldn't get the header into the chassis anymore - I was hoping not to have to lift the engine to do it. Anyway, I read on another forum that removing the rocker cover helps and it does! makes a surprising difference to the amount of wriggle space.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts