Third leg tacked in place. For this tri-Y design they are paired 1-5 and 3-7 on this side. Quite early on I got to the stage where the header would not go onto the car, too many things in the way, but I discovered that taking one engine mount off and putting a jack under sump allows you to tilt the engine by a couple of inches which makes fitting the manifold very easy.
Edit: spoke too soon! The new branch does not fit in the chassis so it has been taken apart again.
I braced it with a piece of pipe on the top. You can't see it well in the photo but there is a length of steel pipe there that has been quartered to give a nice radius and then welded in to the cut-off end. I don't think that cross-member is a structural part of the chassis as such since there is another one, fully braced, a few inches away. I think this one just braces the bottom of the pedal box.
Ceramic coating will help hugely. You need something that will stop the heat getting to the starter but that will not retain & radiate the heat from the exhaust. I think aluminium would be better than stainless, but maybe look at the proper kits for starter wrapping insulation.
I may be able to gain some space too - I made the silly mistake of not noticing that the engine had shifted on the jack while I was measuring the gap but it means I would have to cut my nice shiny first pipe :-(
Not cobra related but I've been enjoying watching this project very much. Some good metal working skills and some great use of period components too. The guy is so knowledgeable and yet he is a college student and looks about 12
A forum community dedicated to UK Hot Rod & Street Rod owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Hot Rods, builds, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!