Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been out working on your rods in the last few days? I have found it be almost too cold to swap for the progress you make. There I am wearing 4 T shirts, 2 sweaters, a fleece aand then another sweater, gloves, hat, 2 pairs of socks and I am still fricken' freezing (and can't move thanks to the sheer amount of layers)! It just gets frustratingly cold and you struggle to progress, which is made worse when these snow days give you the time too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
workshop where i work is freezing. few lays on so hard to do anything... have to remove layers to get to most components lol. then you get cold... and when the doors left open .... grrrrrr.
haha

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Was going to dig the A out of the snow first thing to change the starter motor but I couldn't find the shovel...luckily :D

Just as well it wasn't the Capri.

Ended up going to my mates to work on his Mk3 Zodiac -6 up his place.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Been out on the roadside fitting urethane bushes to the panhard rod, torque tube, gearbox, lower arms and heavy duty anti rol bar on the daily driver 99 Camaro. Worked between 10 and 4, two sweatshirts so I could move and no gloves. Hands went from warm to numb god knows how many times and came inside absolutely frozen thanks to the breeze. Only the front to do now but don't know if I am looking forward to it too much lol:shake::bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
been in today for a few hours,finished the prep on wheels ready for welding tommorow,fitted new wheels to my welder and had a bit of a tidy up,i have a diesel powered bullet heater so gets a bit of warmth in there, if i had no heat i would,nt bother:rofl:

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Go to ebay and type in 'tank suits' bloody marvellous things.
Extremely warm and pretty sparkproof when welding to boot.
if you mean the squadie surplus ones, Mark, then seconded!!

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Been in the garage every night this week, no heating (couldn't be arsed to turn it on) just polo shirt/jumper n jeans, makes you work quicker...!!!

I have had the 'box out, and back in, prop back on, 'box cooler lines made up, and cooler mounted, t/c bolted up, starter back in all in readiness for some oil to be filled to enable me to start it, and run it, for longer than 20 seconds...!!!

:tup:

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Been out in the workshop every night this week, But it does have its own central heating system. In the past I've done that working outside stuff or working in a freezing cold garage where the spanners stick to your skin with the cold. Can't do that freezing cold/hair shirt stuff nowadays though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
been in the garage tonight rebuilding the crossflow in my trials car, so cold had to bring the pistons in the house to warm up so i could get the pins in:shock:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Havent been able to get to mine.I have a barn out in the country and the roads leading to it have been unpassable.I will try again today,i need some bits from there for work on Monday.Need to go to work,not done a stroke this week!
Its ok when i`m working there,have a nice wood burner that does enough to take the chill off.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
same problem as mark, workshop on a farm and the drive is bad enough in the wet, lots of potholes etc so havnt been there, as I live near work I have had to come in but my colleague is makeing the most of it and working on his 52 chevy truck as hes snowed in, he is outside under a carport!!!

·
Stroker
5,617 Posts
adapt and survive

Kool to hear so many folks are bonkers enough to play with cars in this 'global warming event' :smoke:

I'm out there till me nose drips incessantly.
Then go back in for a single malt and get on with drawing up the loom on a huge bit of wallpaper. :happy:
I might have to redraw it at 1/4 size with colour coded crayons! :wanker:

I was gonna go for a first time start on me mill but scared off with it being too cold and imagined
a bolloxed cam and a sump full of swarf from the cold tite metal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.