Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally, after 6 years living abroad and separated from my family I'm coming home at the end of April :D

Unfortunately I will then join the ranks of the unemployed for the first time in 35 years, 20 of them with my current employer. On the up-side I will now become a full time Barn Converter and will spend the next 1 1/2 - 2 years building my dream home.

I'd like to keep a record of this; would anyone be even remotely interested if I did this in the build thread on here?

Also, if anyone is in the building trade and would like to work in South Bedfordshire I'm going to need some subbies; I'd rather move money around inside our own community than see it going somewhere else; of course normal sub contractor selection would still apply :tup:. You can pm me if your interested, site layout and ground works will start at the beginning of May

Mike

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Good luck with the project :tup:

Wish i lived closer i love this type of work as you have to think about what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Good luck with this mike seen some fantastic barn conversions watch out for all the red tape and check out all the local red tape involved in this and the ever changing building regs lol all the very best bryan.
And I'm sure there's a lot of guys would be interested in the build and could help offer advice as there in the trades required as to suppliers coatings best places to deal with etc

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Good luck with this mike seen some fantastic barn conversions watch out for all the red tape and check out all the local red tape involved in this and the ever changing building regs lol all the very best bryan.
And I'm sure there's a lot of guys would be interested in the build and could help offer advice as there in the trades required as to suppliers coatings best places to deal with etc
What ! You mean I can't just find an old barn and chop it about and alter it to create my dream home, but it's mine, why should I have to tell anyone what I do with it ?:incheek:

Good luck with the build Mike, that'll keep you focused for awhile :). I did 'clerk of works' of all stuff done here and it was a great experience.

Be especially interested whee you get to building the garage section :tup:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't planning to ask permission, just because I add some windows and doors some heating and furniture it will still be the same barn I started with.

Isn't that how it works Kev? I'll keep the same body so it should be within the 8 points rule, they'll never notice the new chassis :incheek:

Thanks for the kind words guys :tup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are you planning to just post on here or will you have your own website/blog showing how you are doing on a day to day basis?.

I for one would definitely like to follow the progress on your new project.

Frank

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I would love to follow your build
I am about to begin a self build myself,just having a few "issues" with local planning first. It seems that they want to design my home instead of me!!!
All the best DAVE

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
randrhotrodimports (russ) might be able to do you a deal on materials his the manager at jewsons in leighton buzzard and i might be interested in some work live in luton n no a few other trades to who could quote

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
randrhotrodimports (russ) might be able to do you a deal on materials his the manager at jewsons in leighton buzzard and i might be interested in some work live in luton n no a few other trades to who could quote
Many thanks for this, I'll PM you both

·
Registered
681 Posts
i have been there before , done a barn conversion, also loads of grief with planners, listed building concent etc and know allot more about planning than before. if you need any advise give me a ring.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i have been there before , done a barn conversion, also loads of grief with planners, listed building concent etc and know allot more about planning than before. if you need any advise give me a ring.
Thanks for this. I've got planning and building regs approved but have a minor amendment request pending. I've used a local architect so he already has good contacts in the planning department which I think is a big advantage. Still we have to wait and see :roll:

Fortunately the barns are not listed but the site is green belt, which makes all the external works much more regulated. You should see the approved planting schedule, 20%, of this 15% of that and my gardening skills are zero :shake:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts