Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was talking to a driving examiner today and got chatting about grandfather rights for driving lorries, he told me that these are being taken away and that from 2013 anyone driving 7.5 tonne and over for a living/professionally will need to take classroom lessons at £60 to £80 per lesson to be able to continue driving them.:shake:
There are 5 different lessons to take,the idea being you take 1 each year for 5 years and then start the procedure again,but to start off you must have completed all 5 before 2013 and then it will be the rolling 1 a year for 5 years!!!
Now the odd thing is if I go and hire a vehicle and use it for private use it doesn't apply (its only professional drivers) so someone who hires one once a year can drive round no problem,but someone who drives one daily ends up having to take lessons on how to drive them!!!! :wacky:
Scaffolders lorry drivers are exempt as they are classed as scaffolders not drivers:beuj:
Seems like another example of the goverment ripping off people,which would affect peoples livings if they don't comply and you have no alternatives,and they aren't advertising that it's going to be happening it was only by chance I found out:tdown:

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
all current hgv drivers have to pass their CPC by 2014 anyway. and that is just the follow up procedure. I have a class 1 (class C+E) and have driven artics since 93. Currently not working at all and i still need to be able to do it. So its not a new rule just one which not everyone knows.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Duz thiss inclood thee arrmee??????????? Iff eet duz ower inFantree mite nott bee mow-byle. Knot ownlee thaat thay mite haf 2 lern mor thaan haow 2 fiyre ay gurn.....!

But that said, full respect to them. They do a job I wouldn't/couldn't do and they do teach their drivers well. :tup:

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Paul,

You havn't been told 100% correctly, the grandfathers rights are unaffected in relation to your entitlement to drive just new EU rules dictate that anybody driving a vehicle with GVW over 3.5 tonnes in a professional capacity must have a CPC in place by September 2014 for LGV/HGV and September 2013 for PCV.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Super Moderator
7,401 Posts
Certificate of Professional Competence.

·
Super Moderator
7,401 Posts
i have a cpc,have done since 1984, but still have to take the test as apparently its a different cpc
As far as I know unless you have only the basic CPC you are OK.
One of the guys I worked with used to run his own motor and had a CPC, as it was a higher grade he didn't have to do the company paid for course.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You need to have in place 35 hours of training by the deadline of 9th sept 2014. After this you will get your cpc drivers card which holds the details of yor training. I think the training comes in 4 diffrent modules covering all aspects of being a professional driver. If you do not hold this training by said date you will no longer be entitled to drive lgv in a professional capacity. Fortunately my company pay for ours, we have one day a year set aside for training and have our last module the end of this month. Its beleived a lot of drivers will fall foul of this come 2014.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
its a drivers cpc totally different the general cpc ive done me first one, you have to do five 8hr parts to qualify,you have to do regardles if you drive hgv commercialy or private or horsebox or stockcar transporter, there ar no exeptions,its aloada bollox, and it aint no 80quid!

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
its a drivers cpc totally different the general cpc ive done me first one, you have to do five 8hr parts to qualify,you have to do regardles if you drive hgv commercialy or private or horsebox or stockcar transporter, there ar no exeptions,its aloada bollox, and it aint no 80quid!
Hi stretch,

Sorry, you only need the CPC if you are driving commercialy, you don't need it if you are only moving your own stuff about, same would apply to your race car (unless you are a paid driver or racer) or your horses.

DVTA Driver CPC - Exemptions

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Russ,its probably the way he worded it,I appreciate that you won't lose the entitlement on your licence,but if you don't have the cpc in place then your not able to drive the vehicle,my mate is a one man band recovery driver and he's been doing it for the last 40 years,he now has to get a piece of paper to tell him he's competent to do a job he's been doing 40 years,so much for experience!!!! he's pissed off as this is the 1st time he's even heard of it,how are you meant to comply if you don't know it exists:beuj:
I hope they bring something like a cpc out for the politicians in this country cos none of the f**kers would presently pass:pmsl:
Hi Paul,

You havn't been told 100% correctly, the grandfathers rights are unaffected in relation to your entitlement to drive just new EU rules dictate that anybody driving a vehicle with GVW over 3.5 tonnes in a professional capacity must have a CPC in place by September 2014 for LGV/HGV and September 2013 for PCV.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
no not under a o licence, im o licence exemeped i still got to have it,for both my commercial use and my private use, countrys gone mad,foreign trucks operators do not have to do this, fucking joke this country.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi All,

Taken straight from the dvtani.gov website, what would be of interest to most of us would be the 1st exemption.

Exemptions

There are exceptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:

used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;

undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service;

used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Driver CPC;

carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver's principal activity*

with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h;

used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order;

used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions

*An example of a driver under exemption vii (also known as 'incidental driver') would be a brick layer who drives a load of bricks from the builder's yard to the building site and then spends their working day laying bricks. In this case, driving a lorry is incidental to their main occupation.

Drivers can move in and out of an exemption, depending on the circumstances in which they are driving. For example, a bus mechanic would be exempt while driving a bus to check that it had been repaired, but would need to hold a Driver CPC if they also drove a bus on a passenger carrying service.

Cheers.

Russ.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.