Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I recently had a full engine rebuild and on some poor advice purchase this cam kit. It's a great bit of kit but is more suited to someone interested in racing.

Please see the attached link for the exact kits.

Cost me around £900 18 month ago with shipping and tax

I'm after £500 but am open to offers. Can arrange shipping at cost but collection would be best.

COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K08-443-8 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I also have the attached water pump for sale. Brand new never fitted

Am after £80 but open to offers as I just want to have a clear out

Summit Racing® Mechanical Water Pumps SUM-G1662-L - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Thanks. Scott

Cheers

scott

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
hi scott,
it does seem a little 'hot/wild ' for day to day use doesn't it...did you intend using it with your 383 combo -did you ever try and use it?
its not easy to read stuff on the net ,and form an opinion is it...and all too easy to get carried away with big numbers....i've been there n done it too..
i tried looking at the edelbrock roller cams but they seem to swing from real mild to wild and not much in between..and forums say their old designs anyway re profiles etc,
so what is one to do ,even if you go direct to the cam manufacturers its who you get to email/speak to ....
neil

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the man that sold me the can was the man who gave me the advice. Live and learn.
Trouble with American cars every mistake you make costs a bomb.

I will be posting pictures as per the rules just gotta wait till I'm back home.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hi there, yes that is quite a sizeable cam, i've got a 234/244 duration cam in a 355ci and that's a built motor with 10-1 compression. Your cam is a XR294HR with 242/248 duration, albeit a roller cam to my flat tappet cam. It'll be a slightly bigger profile than my cam. To give you an idea, my cam get's my '71 Vette to 60 in 4.5 seconds.
I am tempted although the cam in the vette only has 500 miles on it, i'll check out the DCR with your cam and my combo and get back to you.

Cheers. Aaron.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hi Scott, yeah here's some pics - http://s877.photobucket.com/user/aaroncorvette/library/Corvette pics?sort=3&page=3I replaced the 4 speed manual with a Tremec 5-speed 600RR. These old cars are held back by the limited ratios in the 3 and 4 speed trannies.

The trans of choice for you is a TH2004R or a TH700R4, the 700 is much more common and stronger although the 200 is smaller and fits easier.

I've just done the same swap in my Dad's Stude, 350 Chevy and TH350 to 700 swap. It's quite involved.

Cost - trans £175 ( bought a 200 first for £30 but it was scrap)
Rebuild kit, shift kit, valves etc approx £300 (I rebuilt it myself so saved a lot, you might be better off buying a rebuilt one from the states)
Torque converter to match cam (£300)
Shifter £200
Prop shortened (£120, don't need this with the 200)
Trans fluid £50
Modify trans crossmember
Then you need to link up your speedo etc, depends on what you have.

Add £1500 to this if you buy a new trans.

Here's some pics of the Stude - Stude Engine Rebuild Photos by aaroncorvette | Photobucket

1 - 9 of 9 Posts