Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone fitted a compact dual circuit brake servo as supplied by Car Builder Solutions? I have a twin willwood bias master cylinder fitted to my car, but pedal pressure is a bit more than I'd like, so I'd like opinions on fitting the above before purchasing. I don't have space for 2 singles, and don't want to just servo the fronts.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
I've used one many years back .It was a bit of a pain to bleed but that was due to the installation of the entire braking system ( I got involved half way through the build) . Other than that it was fine and passed specs required for new cars ( SVA) which is higher than MOT standards.

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
how much pedal travel do you have now? if it's not much you could swap in smaller bore master cylinders which would help a lot, probably to the point you wouldn't need a servo if the pedal ratio is correct for manual brakes. plus 2 cylinders are much cheaper than a dual circuit remote servo and no new plumbing to do either. rally design do their own cylinders for bias pedal boxes, much cheaper than wilwood and they have twin lip seals so actually better too. they're all a copy of the old girling cylinders anyway so.....
neil.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pedal travel is pretty short and brakes work fine, just looking for a bit less effort. Brakes are Hi Spec 4 pots on front and Ford 9 inch drums on rear. Balance bar is adjusted to give most braking to front, and will lock front just before rear on a hard application at 30 mph. I don't have much pedal space, and longer travel on the pedal wouldn't be desirable.
Cheers,

Pete

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
when you add the servo pedal travel will increase some. what size master cylinders do you currently have? kev (kapri) should be able to advise from that what you'd need size wise.

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
Current bore sizes are 3/4 I believe.

Pete
they keep both 11/16 and 5/8 bore cylinders so even the 11/16 will improve brake effort but with not much more travel. usually one cylinder is smaller than the other, it's strange that both are 3/4. any reason they came like that?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they keep both 11/16 and 5/8 bore cylinders so even the 11/16 will improve brake effort but with not much more travel. usually one cylinder is smaller than the other, it's strange that both are 3/4. any reason they came like that?
I must have bought the willwood set up over 15 years ago and I think that the cylinders were part of the package. From memory I think they are 3/4 inch, but I'll look further to make sure. Car has been on the road with this set up for a number of years now, but I'd rather the effort a bit less. I think the addition of a servo may be the best option as brake balance seems fine, but obviously a bit more plumbing. Cheers for replies,

Pete

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
3/4 + 3/4 is standard set up in America but as always doesn't always work with smaller Euro spec calipers .

What bore are the 4 pots , 1" ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am guessing 34.6 mm from their website. I bought the 280 mm kit for a Ford cortina mk 4, and there wasn't an option at the time regarding piston size. It seems there is now,

Cheers,

Pete

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
i knew others would chime in sooner or later confirming what i'd suggested (plus it sounds like you only need one cylinder too), it really would be much cheaper and easier with no additional fab' work.
neil.
ps think of it this way, most race cars don't have servo's and their brakes are always excellent because they're set up with the right parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts