Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any idea what axle is in a consul classic , can not get to the car for a while and i dont know if its a front or rear loader . also any idea what hp it will be able to take ( probably a rover v8 )
cheers dazza.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
I had the capri version until recently. I'm guessing it would be the same as a Mk 1 Cortina (cant see Ford building a new axle for one car). The Consul Capri Club are very useful if you need more. As for Sticking a V8 on it......cant say I'd do it
Russ

·
Registered
76 Posts
as Russ said it's the english axle so a front loader same as in the anglia and early cortinas,
probably ok for road use but for racing or a tuned motor you might want to consider the atlas axle
as fitted to the later model capri 2.8. you might get lucky and find one with a posi.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
front loader, 52 1/2 inch wide, and i have one for sale if you need one,ps the brakes are pretty big too

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers all for the replies ,im collecting parts for the better halfs car , so just wondering how good the axle is .my mate runs a cosworth 105e bright orange on a english axle , with uprated shafts ..

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had the same type of english axle in my mk2 cortina which has a 230hp 24valve cosy in front, never any problems with it but if you had wide wheels & plenty of traction doubt it would last long ! a stock rover is a bit lame so street driven with a bit of anger should be fine, next up as said is the atlas axles 2.8 the strongest
Allways mark & keep your shafts to the side they came from

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a Consul Capri way back, fitted a 1558 lotus, 5 1/2 x 13 steels on the back with good radials. Back axle was fine for normal cruising. I had problems with a heavy foot and lively clutch.... Broke the spider gears on one diff and another was getting very loud. Wasn't a problem back then, just went down the scrap yard pulled any diff from any rear drive ford and off you go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts