Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Iam replacing my doors on my low line with glass doors ,
and I would like to do away with the quarter lights what glass
can I us front and back doors .plus I am welding up rear doors.
And what window winders cheers

·
Registered
301 Posts
Done the same thing on my mk 1 when 1 found the price of new rubbers for the guarter lights.Used original winders and moved the front runner forward,made ply templates and got some toughend glass cut at a local glass merchant.The only catch is if you close the front door with the window down the door stop may catch on the glass. you could fit power winders as an alternative.Its a worthwhile conversion theres not many consuls about without quarter lights

·
Stroker
5,467 Posts
Ok, it's a bit different on a chopped car as there isn't much window to run up and down in the channels if you use the existing winders.
It can go up wonky etc.

When I fitted glass doors i found some back door winders from a Mondeo that uses a central runner so it can't go astray.
They have a curve and need flattening. :tup:
They even have the same fitting for the old chrome winders.
BUT protude out the door panel an extra inch so you may need deep buttoned velvet panels. :smoke:
My glass doors had the chrome strip finisher shape/bulge built in round the window aperture.
Was also a kind of overlap join during manufacture in the laid up glass on the front of one and has sunk a tad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much great help ,I was in the breakers today they had some mondeo,s ,
what rear end in your consul ,and is there any pictures of the build cheers
Jim

·
Stroker
5,467 Posts
Hi,

Here's the build thread. :tup:

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/showroom/pro-kustom-consul-658

Self installed Hauser pro street rear end. In reality I could of done it without eating into the back seats so much! but it's tight there anyway so at the time wasn't bothered.

I used a nice bronzey colour 5mm acrylic cut approx to size. Door weighs next to nowt. :tup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts