Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a few other welding projects on the go aswell as the van and bought some "cheap" cutting discs of evilbay. They were crap, so the wife popped into Aldi to see if they had any and they did. They were £2.90 for 6 metal cutting, 4 stone cutting and 3 metal grinding and they are excellent quality and last ages. My question is how much do you spend on such things as cutting discs, welding wire, seam sealer as i bet ive spent a few hundred quid over the last few years on consumables or anyone any advice to whats best? I would avoid Silverline cutting discs.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Ive had a few other welding projects on the go aswell as the van and bought some "cheap" cutting discs of evilbay. They were crap, so the wife popped into Aldi to see if they had any and they did. They were £2.90 for 6 metal cutting, 4 stone cutting and 3 metal grinding and they are excellent quality and last ages. My question is how much do you spend on such things as cutting discs, welding wire, seam sealer as i bet ive spent a few hundred quid over the last few years on consumables or anyone any advice to whats best? I would avoid Silverline cutting discs.
I bought some german made 1mm discs for stainless from Screwfix, think they we're £8 for 10. Thy're great, went through some 8mm 2in bar without hardly any wear on the disc. Welding wire I buy on the small reels as I don't weld often enought to stop it going rusty. Gas I struggle with, I get through lots of disposable bottles of C02/Argon Mix but the lack of an affordable option on a bigger bottle means I'm stuck on them. I get though lots of brake cleaner, too, I try to avoid buying it in bulk as the more I have the more I use it for anything that needs cleaning !

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have spent a small fortune on buying cutting discs for my 2 Rotozips from the US since Bosch bought the firm out and stopped selling the consumables here :mad:

I also use a B&D Powerfile and found out to my cost that the Screwfix version of the sanding belts are sh!t, I now have to buy the Bosch version which sets me back £7 per pack of 3 :roll:

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish i had seen them discs before i bought the silverline ones, lol. Good lonk Briz, ha d alook through the choppers posts and seems Silverline isnt a good option which is just aswell i got a 3 year warrenty with my Silverline chopsaw, lol

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I have spent a small fortune on buying cutting discs for my 2 Rotozips from the US since Bosch bought the firm out and stopped selling the consumables here :mad:

I also use a B&D Powerfile and found out to my cost that the Screwfix version of the sanding belts are sh!t, I now have to buy the Bosch version which sets me back £7 per pack of 3 :roll:
i get my belts from ebay but you need to make sure they are butt jointed and not overlapped as these ones can snap straight away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.