Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Apparently I’m also supposed to have drilled steam holes in the block for the heads I’ve got (they didn’t come with instructions). I’ll take the heads off and do it properly.......

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really should be supervised by a grown up.

·
Premium Member
14,305 Posts
what heads, block and engine do you have for that matter? i've never heard of steam holes on a ford only a 400 small block chevy due to the siamesed bore block.

·
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It’s a 1979 block with aftermarket aluminium heads which apparently require the aforementioned Voodoo to make them work. A mate with a pro street Corsair (Lee on here) has had a similar experience and his engine builder confirmed it.

I never had this grief with a SBC!!!

·
Premium Member
14,305 Posts
what can throw a chevy guy is when fitting head gaskets to a ford block one goes upside down. this is because both gaskets are the same and have big coolant holes at one end which go to the back of the block. so to get the big holes at the back on both 'banks' one gasket has to go on upside down. neil.

·
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
what can throw a chevy guy is when fitting head gaskets to a ford block one goes upside down. this is because both gaskets are the same and have big coolant holes at one end which go to the back of the block. so to get the big holes at the back on both 'banks' one gasket has to go on upside down. neil.
Yep, this is what I might have done, removing the heads is the only way to check.

·
Registered
140 Posts
removing the heads is the only way to check.
Not true. Ford head gaskets are different front and back (of the block) and when they are fitted correctly, you can see the corner of the gasket at the front with the engine still in the car. I have never heard of drilling holes on Fords, only when fitting non-400SBC heads to a 400SBC.
As noted, Ford gaskets must be fitted the right way round, with the large water openings to the rear of the block or overheating is likely. HTH
Cheers, Martin

·
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just checked and standing at the front of the engine and there is a corner “tab” of the gasket poking out at the FRONT corner of each head adjacent to the header. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
140 Posts
In your post#22 you have a hyperlink to some pics of a Ford small block in one pic you can clearly see the squared corner of the gasket which you are looking for. Does yours look like that ? The pic shows a gasket on it's own, I but you should still see it the same. HTH
Cheers, Martin

·
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Martin,

Ignore the red arrows in the photos (they're from the originals in the link), but effectively the area of the gasket I have circled is in the area of the block circled on both sides, so it sounds like I've got it the right way around?

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you are seeing the squared corner in the blue circle at the front of each bank of your engine then yes, you have the gaskets fitted correctly.
Cheers, Martin

·
Premium Member
14,305 Posts
have you checked the valve lash? if a valve is not fully closing that'll make that cylinder run hotter.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts