Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's time to part with my Cortina, being realistic I'm not going to find somewhere suitable to carry on working on it and I need to get on with other things. I bought it in December 2012, it has 2 previous keepers on the V5, the first lady owner had it until 2008 when it was bought by the guy who traded it in with the person I bought it from. I have a box file of paperwork with it, going back to the original sales invoice. It was on the the road, but appeared to have been maintained on a shoestring. Before I was happy using it I fitted 4 new tyres, new exhaust, new radiator, new fuel tank and replaced the camshaft, followers and spray bar. I used it 'as and when', doing whatever was required to keep it on the road. I was doing just over 1000 miles a year in it. In December 2018 I had the rear inner valance and lower rear quarters repaired and a new front valance fitted at a cost of £1100. I then took it off the road with the intention of tidying up the rest of the bodywork and painting it in red oxide primer... work progressed slowly as I was working on it in a garage about half an hour away, and of course I found more work than I anticipated, mainly welding on the inner and outer sills and floor. Then came the first lockdown, when I was able to get back to the garage it looked like Beirut, with shit fly-tipped everywhere. When I contacted the landlord I was told that the garages were going to be demolished anyway... I found another garage to rent to store it in but it's not suitable for working in, so it's got to go.

1982 Cortina MK5 1.6L Estate (Last year of the Cortina)... MOT and Tax exempt at the end of next year.

The engine is a 1.6 Emax unleaded Pinto from a Sierra. It has a single choke Webber conversion with manual choke and the Cortina distributor fitted with Accuspark electronic ignition. New cam, followers and spray bar approx. 9,000 miles ago. New cambelt approx. 3000 miles ago. Re-cored radiator. New clutch, cable and auto adjuster fitted approx 5000 miles ago. The gearbox is the original 4-speed, second gear syncro is weak and it will crunch/jump out of gear if you rush it. TBH I just lived with it when I was using it.

40 mm lowering springs fitted along with new front shocks and anti-roll bar bushes just before I took it of the road.

There is a set of 14” Sierra steel wheels with it, 2 have been banded to 6 ½ inches and they have been blasted and powder coated gloss black.

What can I say about the bodywork, it's an old Ford that's never been 'restored'. It has had a LOT of patch repairs over the years, but it has keep it on the road. The front wings have been replaced at some point in the past. The inner skins in the load area below the windows are rotted out (see photos). My idea was give it a more 'retro' look, the rubbing strips have been shaved and the rear wiper deleted. The bumpers were FUBAR'd and were binned, I have a plain chrome MK4 rear bumper for it. There are 2 round chrome mirrors on ali plates to replace the plastic ones. All the lights ect are with the car. The front seats are good condition Crusader ones.

The car is located in Leicester and will (obviously) need to be trailered/transported.

Could make someone a cool daily/parts chaser/surf wagon.

I have probably forgotten a few things, feel free to PM me your number if you want a chat about it.

Asking £1750 ONO.

Thanks for looking!

DSC05378.JPG
DSC05379.JPG
DSC05380.JPG
DSC05384.JPG
DSC05385.JPG
DSC05386.JPG
DSC05387.JPG
DSC05388.JPG
DSC05389.JPG
DSC05390.JPG

Edit: No idea why the photos have appeared twice...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take it that's an offer Mark? I'll bear it in mind, I'm in no rush TBH. I've been paying for storage for long enough a bit longer won't make any difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts