Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think!

I took the car out last Saturday for a quick run (30 mile). The car has been starting no problem over the winter and started first time on Sat. Whilst I was out I went to Morrisons and filled her up with unleaded. She started up OK and I drove home, but when slowed down to turn into my road it coughed and spluttered a bit. Last night I took it for a run out, but it didn't start as well as normal, when I left the pub it was even worse and really struggled to get firing on all cylinders.

Do you think it could be the fuel? and if so would you top it up with some Super unleaded from a different garage or wait till the level is down before filling up.

Any thoughts

Cheers

Bri

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It depends on how low on fuel you were before topping up. It's possible you have sucked some junk up from the bottom of the tank that's causing issues. Do you have an inline fuel filter?

I don't ever use Morrisons as I've heard bad reports about out local station selling poor quality fuel, but I know people in other areas that have no issue so its possible it is a duff tank full. If you do suspect the fuel throw some octane improver in there, or if you have sufficient room some super unleaded but I'd want to be mixing it 50:50 as a minimum. If you have more than 1/2 a tank left you probably wont affect the concentration of bad fuel enough. A litre of super unleaded in 49 litres of crap fuel wont make one iota of difference.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that,
I don't have a fuel filter in place. But I probably have enough room for a few gallon of decent fuel and if I keep topping it up with a bit of the good stuff each time it might do the job.

I'll update you if it improves.

Bri

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update on fuel situation.

I topped up the car with Shell premium. What a difference, it starts with one turn of engine and runs smoother than ever before.
I never thought it improve the running so much.

No more supermarket petrol for me.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
All petrol is made to the same standard, supermarkets don't make their own fuel, they buy it from whoever is selling in bulk at the cheapest price. The only difference is how clean the underground tanks are at the station. Although ironically, shell did make some horrendous fuel a fair few years ago that damaged vauxhall engines. mind you, thats probably more to do with vauxhalls shite engine build quality.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have a buddy who works on newish motors and tells me some horror stories about supermarket gas. Who knows. I've never had trouble with it, I'm not so fussed with the daily, but it's always BP or Shell Super Unleaded for the Pontiac. I'd say the most likely issue here is NO fuel filter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts