Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know a good source to get me a friction disk made to my specifications. Surely somebody will know of companies that do this, as I've been a bit unlucky on my google searches.

Thanks guys, any input will be appreciated :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks kapri, that is exactly what I was looking for, a company that does them and has been tested by someone... now all a need to do is to know if they will be able to do something capable of handling the torque of my engine conversion... (somewhere around 150 ish bhp and 300 ish Nm torque) :)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts
The problem nowadays is the friction material available is inferior to the asbestos products of old. Generally this means having to go for higher clamping pressures from the cover to prevent slippage so normally end up with a heavier clutch on a performance part. There are other ways of generating teh frip with paddle clutches and solid centre plates but all area trade off for road manners.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
macs in downham got a plate relined for me so he should be able to get one made from the splined piece that you have and some measurements

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, the splined piece will be a ldv pilot clutch, the flywheel and pressure plate are peugeot hdi, so need to match up the friction disk in size to them. For what I know, ford galaxy friction disk works, but its a bit smaller than the flywheel, so ideally one made to match the hdi would be best. Will probably need to get a stronger pressure plate, as not sure the standard one will take the torque.
Where in downham is it? As its near to me, it would be good to have a chat with him to see the best option...

The problem nowadays is the friction material available is inferior to the asbestos products of old. Generally this means having to go for higher clamping pressures from the cover to prevent slippage so normally end up with a heavier clutch on a performance part. There are other ways of generating teh frip with paddle clutches and solid centre plates but all area trade off for road manners.
Road manners is a must, as it will get used daily, but as going to be using hydraulic clutch, it is bearable with a uprated pressure plate (maybe).

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
ldv pilot had an r380 gearbox the later version of the lt77 they had a 1.9 peugeot diesel as standard? so cant u use a standard plate?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I could, but it would chew through clutches like a maniac, as the 1.9 was the non turbo one, so i'd say 75 hp(?)... I'm going to be doubling that and also more than doubling the torque, not counting the turbo when it kicks in.
Normal setup that others are using is 1.9td or 2.1td or (if they are masochistic sods like me and like electronics) 2.0 hdi (90 or 110hp), with peugeot 306 hdi (90hp) flywheel and pressure plate and friction disc of a ford galaxy, which is a few millimeters smaller, but right spline all mated to the R380/LT77 of the pilot. Don't really know how well they get along with power mods, but most of the swaps I found of this kind have been on light kit cars, so they are probably ok with this setup. And yes, R380 is exactly what I'm looking for (to be on the safe side).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Been a long time ago now but Terbo Technics had one made for the Cossie shreaded 2 std in 6 mths the last was still ok when i sold it about 8 mths on

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it's an R380 that's the same as a land rover one they do heavy duty clutches for towing and iv never lost a clutch when off roading even giving it death all the time

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's an R380 that's the same as a land rover one they do heavy duty clutches for towing and iv never lost a clutch when off roading even giving it death all the time
clutch diameter on land rover is too big. ldv pilot has a 215mm clutch, with the hdi flywheel i can use a 228mm clutch. think the smaller one for the land rovers is 235mm (correct me if im wrong). It is the same box, but smaller bellhousing to suit the 1.9 diesel of the ldv (psa xud engines and early hdi's fit the same bellhousing).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
recommend helix also, 63 galaxie 550hp 600ftlbs torque through helix twin plate not an issue, diffs on the other hand !!!!
Dont think I will have that problem... will be in the region of 150hp and 300 Nm torque (about 220ftlbs), if lucky... still a bit more than the original essex v6, but I think the diff will cope with it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts