Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Care in the Community
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally customised in the very early '80s by Dave Hilder of Hastings and featured in Street Machine magazine in July '84. Fitted with an Oselli Engineering 3 litre V6 engine in a smoothed and detailed bay, 4-speed manual gearbox, Mike the Pipe headers and exhaust system, chromed and painted narrowed Jag IRS, Shelby slotmags, deep buttoned blue velvet interior, and other subtle modifications too numerous to mention.

Dave sold it late '84 and it is thought to have spent the next 20-odd years in storage, possibly in Jersey. Wherever it was it was definately unregistered and unused.

I bought it a few years ago with no V5, missing interior, rusty chrome axle and suspension, no keys and a non-running engine.
After chatting to a few knowledgable folk and a decent guy at the DVLA I put in an application for the logbook and after a few weeks not only did it come back in my name but with Dave Hilder as the previous keeper! possibly confirming the Jersey storage story.

With help from a good mate we pulled the back axle apart for rebuild and powdercoating (no good having chrome on a daily driver!), rebuilt the front brakes and fitted new discs & calipers and fitted new tyres to replace the perished Pos-a-Tractions.
As the interior was completely missing and the wiring was a mess, I built a new dashboard, fitted new gauges and rewired the van myself. Next job is to re-do all the buttoned panels.

The paint is microblistered and has a few knocks but is still the original custom paint applied by Auto-Sprays 25 years ago so I plan on leaving it as is for a few years then we'll make templates of the blue stripes (all sprayed and lacquered by the way!) and will re-do it in the same scheme.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
that van was in a southampton car showroom..at least 20 years ago!...i had recognised it from various shows and the magazine feature....i used to drive by wishing i had the cash to buy it!....glad to see its a survivor!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Love everything about this old custom van. Good luck with the restoration and I look forward to seeing some updates.
Cheers Kenny

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
how cool is that , good bit of british rodding history.great daily driver:tup:

·
Care in the Community
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the kind words.
I'll be using it for shows and the drags this year while my Plymouth gets a makeover so you might see it around.

that van was in a southampton car showroom..at least 20 years ago!...i had recognised it from various shows and the magazine feature....i used to drive by wishing i had the cash to buy it!....glad to see its a survivor!
That's very interesting, can you remember which dealers it was in or narrow down the year? Like I said above, I'm the next owner on the V5 after the original builder, so whoever has owned it between us has never transferred ownership into their name!

·
78 Bronco BRING IT ON!
440 Posts
Instantly recognised it from street machine (I think) that I bought as a nipper.Unbelievable how well the paint has lasted, the engine bay still looks immaculate.So glad it has found a appreciative owner who`s going to restore it,just wished it`d been me!:tup:

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Just Fantastic to see this again. I would have been around 22/23 when this was first in "Street Machine", and remember it well, as it was "Right up my Street", (Pardon the Pun !!), at the time, being an "Old School" 70`s/80`s Customizer !!. I hate to be nosey, but I would love to know how much it cost you to buy ??!!. :roll::?::bigsmile:

Dave. :tup:

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Cheers for the kind words.
I'll be using it for shows and the drags this year while my Plymouth gets a makeover so you might see it around.

That's very interesting, can you remember which dealers it was in or narrow down the year? Like I said above, I'm the next owner on the V5 after the original builder, so whoever has owned it between us has never transferred ownership into their name!
was in a showroom in bevois valley southampton..not a main dealer, but a used car/bike dealer..sorry cant remember name of it...as for the year mid to late 80,s i think!

·
Care in the Community
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
was in a showroom in bevois valley southampton..not a main dealer, but a used car/bike dealer..sorry cant remember name of it...as for the year mid to late 80,s i think!
Thanks for that. It's all part of it's missing history.

Hi Ian, I love this van, glad you have it and are useing it.
look forward to seeing it about!
Cheers Trev. Hoping to get your old one and mine together soon for some retro style pics. :lol:

·
Registered
773 Posts
As others said remember it from the first time round good luck with a cracking piece of Brit Custom history ,Cool lookin van :)Andy

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Just found this Ian, took it at Garys Picnic in '85

·
Care in the Community
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ace Al, thanks for posting it. :tup:
If you find more, please post them up, I have no pics of it at shows from back then, only the ones in the magazine feature.

·
old tart (was kc55)
745 Posts
nice one ian, not many survivors of that era, always loved the one parked near streatham crash repairs ( reeds motors ? ) cant wack a good set of slot mags :tup:

·
Freak!
458 Posts
Thats ace,a great find too,always good to see a 'survivor'

With the reg number,all i keep thinking is the saying...'the devil made me do it'

Good luck with the rebuild. :tup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts