Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Zephyr Zodiac Mk1 1955
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wonder if someone can help me please. I'm having a rodded Mk1 Zodiac stripped, painted and rebuilt. The car has 302, C4 Mustang axle etc and looks wise it's following the stock styling, with some "tweeks" to my taste mainly on the interior. I'm kind of setting the scene a bit with background to maybe make my question clearer, as after a lot of mulling I'm pretty settled that I would like the glass tinting, not blacked out, but with a reasonably subtle 50s american car style bluey green tint to the glass and in keeping with the 50's transatlantc styling theme of the car. As well as the look I'd like to keep the car cooler on hot days and protect the new leather interior it will have when finished.

Trouble is I know nothing about tinting, never had car glass tinted before and Google'ing has confused the hell out of me as everywhere seems to be about getting BMW's and Audi's windows as blacked out as possible!

I have brought a new laminated Pilkington windscreen for the car and all the other glass is out now so I think the logical time to the work done is now, and edges can be hidden under rubber seals and frames etc. Btw, I know I could have had the new screen tinted green by Pilkington but I didn't know the shade would be what I want and I want all the other glass to match. That said, I'm also worried about bubbly film, peeling and the and the treatment quickly looking naff and crap. However what Googling is telling me is that these days this does not need to be the case and it should be possible to get a very high quality durable job in the right shade of tint, if I know where to go - but I don't.

So, can anyone help me please and point me at a tinter who maybe knows 50s cars and custom cars and would understand what I'm trying to acheive and do the work in the sahde I desire to a high standard? I'd like to sort something out reasonably quickly as the doors on the car are nearing the stage of being reassembled and the gentleman building the car is asking me what is happening about the glass. Any help and recomendations much appreciated folks.

Cheers Chris

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,515 Posts
Trouble is that green tint is impossible to get hold of and what's about, despite being sold as suitable for automotive ...simply isn't as itwon't follow curves nicely. I've had 3 different companies try and none could get the film to wrap on anything except flat sheet. I got new flat glass made for mine in standard green tint. To make my curved windows tinted took lot of time and patience using lens tint spray . The film also is much 'brighter ' greem while alos not matching the industry standard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts