Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I hope you can help. I'm building a small special based on an MG Midget and wish to have a standard laminated windscreen cut in order to radius the corners. I've worked on classic cars for many years but this is a job I have never had to do or know how to do. As many of the great hot-rods have chopped roofs and use cut-down glass I'm hoping you can help. I'm in the London area but anywhere in the South of the UK would be fine. Can anyone recommend a skilled glass cutter who can do it? By the way I've already contacted umpteen windscreen companies and none of them are interested. I've also contacted Pilkingtons and they no longer do it. If all goes to plan I'll be building other similar cars so I'm looking for a professional firm or individual who can do these really skillfully.
regards,
Nick

·
Registered
111 Posts
Theres a bloke I use in Southend on Sea for my 1/4 lights which are shaped, watched him do it and he is good... if you want his number Ill have to drive down there as I cant remember what the place is called.. let me know.

You would probably have to leave a pattern and wait for him to do it, he dont rush ;)

TrOjAn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Pride, thanks. I've been thinking about this problem and perhaps I'm thinking about it the wrong way. The reason I wish to change from the standard screen is purely aesthetic; the standard screen is for a roadster frame that will look terrible as part of my coupe design. I had assumed I'd use a traditional rubber section to secure the screen in place and thus I'd have to have a screen with proper radiused corners. But if I bonded the screen, I could use a standard screen and my problem would be solved - even though I'd have to design and fabricate a different type of windscreen surround. So does anyone think that DIY bonding is a good idea and does anyone know the parameters for the design of the A-pillar and surround? The frustrating aspect to all of this is that until I know which windscreen system I'm using I can't fabricate the body! Trojan, thanks - can you remember his name at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All change! Having researched this to death, a very helpful hot-rod enthusiast from Rods'n'Sods contacted (many thanks Pride!) me and after a chat I've decided to give up the idea of mounting the screen in the traditional manner (in a rubber section)and to have an anachronistic bit of tech: the bonded windscreen. This has solved all sorts of problems including not having to have radiused corners and so not having to either cut the screen or source another screen from another type of car.

So, all in all, it's been worth all the hours and flipping hours of reading blogs and technical articles about how to shape/cut/trim laminated glass - I won't go that route. I will save a lot of time and money using a bog standard Midget windscreen and now I have the approximate dimensions of the clearances required for a bonded screen I can go ahead and order what I'll need.

Here's a pic of my plywood pattern being made from the original screen. It's 3mm ply with two strips of 3mm ply glued glued to it so it will retain its shape when set (I hope). If those additional laminations don't hold the shape I'll add a brace down the centre. The two layers of 3mm will approximate the glass reasonably well and good enough to use as a workshop pattern. when the glue is properly set I can trim the plywood to size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's brilliant, many thanks again. - the catalogue seems to have even more than is listed on the website. I'm assuming I should look in 'T-sections and Window patterns' ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the trim samples from Baines and one of them will do the job well and, on the outside, looks quite similar to a 1960s traditional rubber. It's bendy enough to go around the top corners of the standard screen too. Having made my wooden template, I'm now designing the surround and making templates. I think it will take a while..
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/#
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/#

Again, thanks for the excellent advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The side pieces and top of the new frame are now pretty much done other than the need for a few adjustments once the frame is welded together. Some of the bottom section is made but there's still the U-section to make and weld to it. After that, it's the A-pillar strengtheners and an integral roll bar. I've tried each section on the actual windscreen and might clamp the frame around the windscreen for tack-welding together. Though my wooden template has been invaluable, it's curvature is not 100% spot on with the glass - but, there again, the glass itself is not at all symmetrical so I expect it's all a question of a few mm compromise in every direction and hope that subsequent screens are similar.

Above: side pieces

Above: Top and side pieces and the base of the bottom piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally finished all the frame pieces and tacked them together after much clamping and adjustments. I've also tacked a tube across the top for strength. Next are the A-pillars after a few more jobs that need doing. when it all fits as it should, It'll all be seam-welded up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts