Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Cutting front screen

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  MrtsCOE 
#1 ·
AS above ,how do you cut a screen down ,its a morris minor ,4in chop ,laminated screen ,what do you use to cut the glass ,best way of doing it ,any advice welcome .:tup:

#3 ·
I Cutdown all the Elise screens for the lotus 340R and loads of airport ford delivery lorries. I would practise on old screens first until you can cut successfully as it's that hard to cut a bent piece of glass lots of windscreen companies won't even attempt it .
Use oil filled glass cutter and attach a flexible straight edge to inside of glass then start from one edge an cut in one movement along the straight edge to the other side of screen , turn screen over and place straight edge in identical position then cut along it again so both line are in perfect line. You will find the first cut will break it self along the glass score allowing you to break it by light tapping from underneath along the already broken score. Then apply gentle heat thru a heat gun and score the plastic middle section with a single edge blade and it's job done .
Good luck if you are trying yourself as I allow 5-6 screens to get a perfect one and i have being doing this for 17 years or so.
There was a good thread on the H.A.M.B. About grit blasting it along the area you want to cut which seemed very feasible.
Do not try to cut a big curve in one go just keep cutting the corners of using gentle curves until you have done it .

#6 ·
After all its only laminated glass but the curve being the problem,

Cut it the same as usual by scoring both sides, small wiggle to create a hairline gap so that the meths you spray on gets in the gap,
Set fire to the meths and while on fire pull the two apart with pliers which sometimes takes a couple of goes,

Had one cut in the eighties for my 105e by a company in north london/Charles pugh,
£40 for the screen, £40 to cut it and £10 optional insurance on screen breakage which i paid, they broke the first one:smoke:

#7 ·
Just out of interest - is there a company that can make a bespoke screen to your pattern? Looking in my Classic Car Directory 2005 "Allglass" - www.allglass.co.uk; tel 020 8311 5663 advertise safety glass made to order. There are also 2 other companies in there but dont say if they will do to order. May be a red herring and only do flat screens but worth a call?

#8 ·
ive cut a cf van screen and a bmw 3 series screen using a grit blaster. used layers of gaffa tape to mask the cut line. supported the screen on foam blocks and gently blasted it using aluminium oxide grit, worked a treat. i broke the bmw fitting it , blasted another screen , all good !
i did use new screens as i was told that was better, dont know if thats true.
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.