Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined as i fort it would help to get bits n bobs..

People asked me to post pics of my cars... so i did before and after and one of the replies where:

Yes, sorry, but you seem to have taken a beautiful original Amazon, and totally ruined it. What a waste of a lovely car. Absloutely no better than the banger racers.
from user: 940Graeme

is it me or is he a k*ob!!!!

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
seems like a perfectly normal response from the classic car brigade,when addressing a hotrodder, probably tell his mum now.:twisted:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i had a completely different response from a guy i spoke with a while back who had a great restored humber supersnipe he said to me i think a man who takes an old classic witch is beyond restoring and turns it into something of beauty from different parts from other vehicles is a very talented man and worthy of a hand shake not ridicule. and he is right its just plain snobbery when people slate you for it and you will find they dont do there resto's either, cocks normaly too with no vision keep posting picks just to piss em off babe....

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Personally I wouldn't take a pristine rare classic and rod it (although I have in the past) but its each to their own, if it means another old car staying on the road then good on em. I have known plenty of restorers buy up tatty but roadworthy cars only to scrap them for a handful of unobtainable parts for their restoration.
So yeah the guy is definitely a Knob of the highest order

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
karen..collect a load of rodded amazon pics and post them on there....his head should explode:smoke:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Some people are so caught up in the 'originality' mind set that even if they were faced with ingenious and artistic improvements over an original, they would only see these as deviant from the original design concept.
What I find is a good retort to use against these sanitised puritans remarks is the following............." Have you ever decorated your house or changed the furniture in your home to improve on it's looks. Of course you have, because you feel that you have improved upon it's original state, well that's what we do to cars".
:tup::tup::smoke:

·
V8 addict
1,102 Posts
The whole "originality" thing can only go so far.
Would you want to drive a 40 year old car with "original" tyres and brake hoses?

You get it on the MG forums. There's an outcry from some quaters if you suggest a mod like distributorless ignition systems because it's not "original" - yet the same folk have wooden dash boards, leather seats, minilite alloy wheels, chrome bumper conversions etc...

My response to the guy would be something along the lines of "Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, you need to apriciate that not everyone shares your point of view. I suppose you probably think the rally car replicas have been "ruined" too? When you've got your name on the log book of a vehicle, it's yours to do with as you please. I suggest you crawl back under your rock if you've not got anything nice to say".

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey everyone. thanks for the response for a min i fort wtf am i getting angry for no reason but how dear someone say that to someone that has worked to get the money to do what they think looks good! I am awaiting his reply on the site lol.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I,m on that forum as well so do you think I should send him some pics of the one I,m doing? Yours looks great by the way.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks he's entitled to an opinion? He has stated what he thinks, and he is entitled to think what he wants in this country, and voice it in public. The reponses so far are to be abusive and call him a "knob". Just as it's your car to do as you see fit, it's his opinion to think what he wants. Or am I wrong and also a "knob" for daring to be honest?

By the way, the MG comment is completely wrong as the MGOC frequently feature modified cars in the owners mag (even as far as a 4WD, Rover V8 engine MG Midget).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I,m on that forum as well so do you think I should send him some pics of the one I,m doing? Yours looks great by the way.
hahaha you wont beleive this but i have your car on my screen saver at work... lol i have a few that flick up. Hope you dont mind. Yours is lush.... i want that skirt on the back wheel. what are you doing to yours?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Am I the only one that thinks he's entitled to an opinion? He has stated what he thinks, and he is entitled to think what he wants in this country, and voice it in public. The reponses so far are to be abusive and call him a "knob". Just as it's your car to do as you see fit, it's his opinion to think what he wants. Or am I wrong and also a "knob" for daring to be honest?

By the way, the MG comment is completely wrong as the MGOC frequently feature modified cars in the owners mag (even as far as a 4WD, Rover V8 engine MG Midget).
I agree that he is entitled to an opinion but i feel that there is a way to put it.. if you like them standard then good on you its a car on the orad and thats what you like.. but to tell someone that the have ruined it just because they have done something they like and feel's that it makes it look better is just "rude" i think... i would dear go up to someone and say that to them... what ever you like you like, thats up to you!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts