Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well over on the legal page I asked about a rebody .. didnt seem that complicated so decided to take the plunge and dig in on a cheap and cheerful fun bus . Nothing to serious or spendy, just a bit of fun while we still can.. Not getting any younger , or wiser it would seem .

So After getting the land rover project done and on the road as my daily, interspersed with tooling around in my 31 coupe clown car .. as a young kid called it ( bless em) I'm having a wee break and going to throw something together for a laugh and if all goes well maybe even a pay day :) Well you cant keep them all .

So A good friend of mine has afair few projects but I guess advancing years and a heavy workload dictted that he would consider selling some things off . Now the last thing I need is another project but I figure that if I keep my space filled with my own shit then I wont have to be worried about saying no when asked to do other folks stuff :) So thats the plan

Lifes to short to be tied up with other folks junk and ideas beyond there skill level , christ had all manner of shite from Morris minors to Austin pickups and vintage BMWs to repro Jag D types all to the detriment of my own decent projects..

Anyhoo, we live and learn .. eventually . So this is a bit of a fun thing .. Cost to buy the base vehicle was just a few hundred pounds , Its a bit like the old days , old junk for realistic money .. Also sored a pile of bits for a series land rover and while speaking to a fella at the local bearing supply place , scored a pair of 109 bed sides, FREE for the taking, perfect.

So what is this Nirvana upon which Ive stumbled ? Its a mid 50s Rover P4 complete car with reg and V5c so hopefully no messing about with complicated registration worries :)

And the plan : scrap the body from the P4 and strap on the remnants of the series landrover to make a kinda shit box lowered landy type thing.. , Pluss points, Chassis is excellent , has disc brakes from factory bouncy suspension electrics, and pretty much decent tyres, all savings .. Gauges are present, nice banjo wheel, and all in all a good source of useable shite ..

The Land rover bits include a rusty bulkhead, front wings, bonnet, grille, and doors, seat box screen and other useful stuff . There is also a good shorty rear tub and roof / sides to trade for other stuff .. :) and the aforementioned sides I scored in a conversation ..

The P4 chassis isn't a million miles off the design of the Land rover chassis its not 4x4 though and sits at a height whereby a normal human being can get in without a step ladder :) Oh and it has a much much tighter turning circle :)

Initial plan is to fudge around wee bit with the bulkhead as the wheelbase on the P4 is a little longer than the landrover and more or less bolt the body together as per land rover method onto the P4 frame , eliminating the roof and side, door tops and anything else not really required for a buzz about ..

Thats about it really .. Its not a full tilt full on project though as I have other stuff on the go but hopefully will look a bit like a car by the summer :)

will try and document most of the build here but be warned its not always gong to be pretty but it will be tidy I have no intention of spending much money on this , just the bits it comes with and some crap I have in stock .. I will spend on sheet materials, and sundries but hopefully that will be all it needs. Donor car has only covered 40500 miles :)

and here it is ..

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone reading this needs any body parts off it say quick because if not they will be straight down the crusher next week good doors trunk lid and bonnet , front wings arent bad and can come with repair panels .. :)

no electrics or dash parts except wooden dash parts Im keeping the lights and switches and useful stuff ..

·
Registered
633 Posts
Can you fit the Auntie grill in the landy? How is the body for width landy to P4. Have worked on/driven P4s when I first started work , bit of a barge!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quite possible the grille could be made to fit, but I wont be doing those type of mods . its quick n dirty low tech , the land rover grille and front panel will work fine for the purpose of pure laziness.

wheelbase is a little longer but track width is fine .. Handling isnt an issue .. its just a fun thing .. it is what it is . (y)

attached link will give you some idea, nothings new its all been done before :)

Chev 50, I can pallet the parts up for you and send them off .. make me an offer :) Im not interested in any of the bits other than to maybee get a wee bit back on the cost of the base vehicle .. via scrap or sales ..

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
can you combine the 'new' bed sides with some of the old to allow for the longer p4 wheelbase?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
can you combine the 'new' bed sides with some of the old to allow for the longer p4 wheelbase?
Its around 4 inches , , with the smaller rubber in the large arch there will be wiggle room with the bulkhead placement to shift the wings into the most suitable spot and maybe just a minor bit of reshaping to centre things up.. "thickening the A posts to shift the doors back a wee bit might also work for the purpose .. if required.. Whole idea is to keep it simple so jiggling the position of the body would seem to be the first port of call.. Will sort it out as things proceed :)

The short bed has a decent value or might need it for another landrover build at some point so would like to keep it in one piece .. its not a big problem to find the extra length without to much hard work :) The mantra here is to keep it as simple as possible but build it safe .

If all goes well and I keep recording progress, the solutions will be recorded here .. Its just a bit of fun .

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
yeah, as you say cheap is good. some sheet ally would do the job for sure. in the past when our kids were young (we've got 5!), if i couldn't afford something good i'd make something fun which usually involved cutting the roof off of a cheap car. good luck with it.
neil.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Close call, I was supposed to collect the rover yesterday and would have dragged it straight to the crusher to have the body lifted off ( its already been prepared for removal) and tossed into the scrap pile.. My buddy got in touch to say the plates we photographed it with were the ORIGINAL plates . The fella he bought it off retained the original number and it was issued with a period replacement . He looked out the documents and confirmed the replacement and remembered he had pressed plates made for it .. He even managed to find them. So its up there for a second round of photographs with the proper plates on this time around .. That could have been a bit of a disaster ..

Next issue is revising the price LOL I was banking on it being the original number as agreed which would have had some value, but the re reg wil be non transferable .. so its just "paperwork " Price is coming down all the time .. :) Was thinking £300 and getting a wee bit back from the scrap .. got to keep it cheap .

·
Nowheresville
3,046 Posts
I don't think I dreamt it, but there was a photo in a 'for sale' ad the other day (faceache, ePay or somewhere) with Land Rover front wings and a very P4-like bonnet hanging over the front! Or maybe I did dream it!.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't think I dreamt it, but there was a photo in a 'for sale' ad the other day (faceache, ePay or somewhere) with Land Rover front wings and a very P4-like bonnet hanging over the front! Or maybe I did dream it!.
You didn't dream it, but i can't remember where I saw it either....

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
yep, i saw that too. it was started by someone on here a while back. the same guy who fitted a pop front axle and a ford v6 to a hillman minx. issigone was his username here.
neil.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
A guy I knew had a Land Rover body on a Range Rover chassis, centred the wheels in the arches and built longer doors to fill the gap......

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That was a bitser built on a Vauxhall frontera chassis , with a chopped down P4 body and a couple of landrover wings .. Saw it ..ignored it :)

This one should be pretty much a full landy lwb body minus roof door tops and any class :)

Seems a shame to crush the old body but hey these old things have a limiited lifespan, might as well scrap a few and have fun with the remains :) auto necrophilia having fun with dead cars LOL..

Its now in the drive , have a few bits I need to remove before scrappage .. will be gone on Monday .. should have the basics assembled in a couple of weeks .. then a few ( cough) weeks more to sort it all out :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That would be great Ross , Have wings n doors , can also arrange the repair panels for the front wings the fella I bought the car from had bought those .. Body isnt that bad floors are good , some glass rear screen, front screen , bonnet is mint trunk lid is mint ..

Ask him to be quick would be a shame to scrap it if parts would be usefull to somebody but I cant hang onto it as I dont have space .. drop him my e mail address but ask him to be quick .. Cheers .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts