Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thats it stripped and ready to go to the scrappy .. will head there on Monday and drop the rolling chassis in the shed to make a start..

Did a bit more measuring, Rover track width is about an inch wider than the landrover , wheel base is an inch longer , nothing in it .. :) Checking the wheel position front and rear , the 109 landrover body should set up on it pretty decent without masses of adjustment ..

Got lots of pics with the reg number displayed and uncovered the chassis number on a rover tag on the the A post .

DSCF8623.JPG

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Advertised for an engine and gearbox, left the parameters pretty wide but seem to have managed to find a couple of decent options being offered . One being a Rover V8 which would be a great combination keeping things all in one make .. just have to sort out some measurements, but given that the Landrover bulkhead will land a little further back and is ultimately flatter than the rover, there may be scope to shift the engine back a little . There are potential clearance issues at the steering box with the heads / exhaust and track rod with the sump but with a wee jiggle, a slight rise and shift to the left it should work out ? cant tell until I drop the motor in . I know the chap I bought the car off had made some effort to instal a Rover V8 and hit upon clearance issues with the steering box, but he was mating the Rover to the original gearbox and limited further by the Rover bulkhead .. Price is pretty decent, not cheap but not to expensive either .. I think I have made my mind up on the motor , wont be any more thirsty than the original motor .. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hopefully got things organised to get the body off to the scrappy on Monday .. will have the rolling chassis back in the drive ready for clean up and a bit of measuring . Will also collect the rear body sides and arrange the front panels and other Land rover parts this week :) Hope to get this looking a bit like something pretty quick .. I do anticipate issues with the engine fit but hopefully nothing that will stop me in my tracks ..

There wont be any fancy engineering, and nothing that cant be handled with a grinder, hand tools and a welder .. Thats the plan .. its unlikely to work like that though..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Supercool project!

My dad was a P4 nut and said they was a ''poorman's rolls''. (God rest his troubled soul).
Saw a nice Rover P4 drag car at the POD many moons ago, I could see my dad driving it , if he was still here...
That was for sale real cheap too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Supercool project!

My dad was a P4 nut and said they was a ''poorman's rolls''. (God rest his troubled soul).
Saw a nice Rover P4 drag car at the POD many moons ago, I could see my dad driving it , if he was still here...
That was for sale real cheap too.
Just remembered, I had a 1969 109 Landy that I bought from a naybore, some twenty years ago.
never got around to doing the work as it needed everything, so I scrapped it for nowt.
Then a few weeks ago the old Naybore knocks on the door, first time ever and says ''please tell me you still got the 109''.
ERR no, scrapped it, the old Naybore was heart-broken, they is worth real good money now...
''Hope they paid you a good price for it''?
Yeah I said, they didn't charge me a 'towing fee'...

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
Just remembered, I had a 1969 109 Landy that I bought from a naybore, some twenty years ago.
never got around to doing the work as it needed everything, so I scrapped it for nowt.
Then a few weeks ago the old Naybore knocks on the door, first time ever and says ''please tell me you still got the 109''.
ERR no, scrapped it, the old Naybore was heart-broken, they is worth real good money now...
''Hope they paid you a good price for it''?
Yeah I said, they didn't charge me a 'towing fee'...
yep, we all scrapped cars that are worth good money now mate. if only we had a crystal ball :cry:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Body went to the crusher today .. lifted off the chassis with the forklift and deposited on the next to go pile .. Got a whopping £56 for it ... Sad thing is ,it was as solid as a rock with good froors and sills , problem was it had been picked over as a parts car so loads of bits missing that would have cost more to buy than the finnished car was worth ..

Good thing , the chassis is solid front to rear and needs ZERO repairs . Rough bits are the jacking points but thay are bolt on so will promptly be bolt off and binned . Looks like it was fitted with a full stainless exhaust , not sure if it will be any use to me but who knows ..

Gave it a power wash and got rid of years of built up grease .. all well protected and came up good .. not even so much as a split ball joint rubber boot and all the brake pipes have been replaced!!. If I leave it long enough this thing might build its self :)

However., I nipped around to the fella that I was getting the rear body sides from and collected those. They were a bit beat up but none the less they were useable .. one problem I never noticed , they are series 1 . not series 3 as required to suit the other landy bits I have secured .. BUGGER..

So now back on the lookout for a pair of series 3 rear body sides if anyone has any contacts .. Failing that I guess I could look for series 1 doors and front panels ..

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
i'd look for both and see what comes up first, lol. at least you have more options and the series 1 may be more age correct for the chassis too.
neil.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
good point .. might do that , individual series 1 bits are pretty cheap .. sometimes .. fella I had the sides off has a few series 1 bits but he also has a series 1 he might need them for .. still, might be worth asking :)

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
ask if you can deal the series 3 bits in if he has the series 1 stuff you need. landy people are funny and like to hoard bits for possible future projects....... bit like rodders too i guess ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Think I might be sorted .. New full sides are £235 and £125 right and left . have a fella that has dinged up bed sides considering new ones . Sad I would buy his complete old sides for £125 so he can get a new pair for under £300 .. he gets new ones for hs resto, I get banged up ones for ths piece of shit thing .. sorted :) If he doesnt do the deal Im just gonna buy new ones and build it tidier .. lol..

Any hoo here are some chassis pics , nothng fancy just a rusty old P4 frame ..

Took a couple with the reg plate displayed as well just for the paperwork . Those ones dont show the hillbilly suspension mods ( temporary springs )

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got the rest of the dross off the chassis , brake pipes fuel lines etc and gave the reachable areas a good whahoo with the twist knot wire brushes in the grinder .. Really really dangerous , but got through it without serious bodily injury ..

Great fun doing ths shit, all that measuring and welding and fabricating is great but there is just something liberating and fun about not having to go through all that .. no one really sees it and most dont care or understand it anyway .

Gave it a quick spurt with arsehole spray tins or red oxide to fend off the weather while its sat out side , Will paint it properly well of sorts , later once its ready to go together .. The red oxide makes it look tidy and its nice to work around the primered surface .. kinda looks like youve made a bit of progress :)

Hope to get it in the garage soon ..

I think Ive managed to secure another pair of bed sides for free , Ive checked and these are definately series 3 :) just got to travel to Inverness for them .. ROAD TRIP .. yeh!

will complete the pre work tidy up of the chassis on Thursday weather permitting, Rain stopped play today ..

Off to see if I can make a start to stripping the bits off the Land rover donor :)

pics to follow ..

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
i've often weighed up the 'cost' of a long trip to collect cheap parts versus paying a bit more and getting them more local to me. it's not just the fuel costs to consider, it's a day of your life you can't get back that it's cost you too.
neil.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Inverness for me is a day out with the Mrs and probably an overnighter just for the hell of it .. then a canny drive back via the back roads ..

Im retired so a day away from the shed here and there isn't a big deal ,

Its just a bit of fun to be honest .. Trouble is series 3 long wheelbase sides are pretty hard to find up here or anywhere it would seem .. I can buy them new and have them delivered , but then new sides with beat up doors etc Hmm ...

Hands on folk are really interesting and usually have more stuff laying about.. Gives me a chance to do a bit of networking :)

I get what your saying with the cost of fuel.. But I kinda enjoy the thought of choking Greta one gallon at a time :)

Any ways , got the rest of the chassis in primer , Smashing .

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Okdoke , slight delay in getting the land rover panels but hope to sort that next week . In the meantime ive been busy doing the last wee bits of the winters QC rear installation on a buddies 30 coupe . just made up the new trunk floor , nothing fancy, just plain and tidy, I didnt think it would be a good idea to add to much decoration, its not that kinda car . It gets driven . :) 425 ci Nailhead twin 4bbls, auto, gear vendors OD , winters QC, Drum brakes and X plys .. Yeehah !

its a shame I cant get this wee video to run .. passes me like im standing still .

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
meant to say, pinned my buddy down with a price for the Rover and stuff .. he asked if I would do a deal,, er go on... needs an alternator for 2 of his cars , total cost £256 If hes happy then I am ecstatic. Between the refund on my road tax, scrapping the old daily and the pay day on the Rover body weigh in, I'm £126 in the black. I will have the engine to pay for but sold a couple of old flathead bits to raise that .. so not dipped to deep into my pockets yet ..

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
got the offer of a pile of series one land rover panels today .. waiting for a price but not anticipatng it to sting to much.. weird thing is that series ones fetch silly money even for projects , most of which is binned , but individual panels are actually pretty cheap .. might take up the offer but actually fixed on the series 3 parts .. so it matches the daily :)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,074 Posts
Nice to see some back to basics fun , think a lot of people have forgotten it's possible . I recently 'cal looked' a new Beetle cabrio. Cost next to nothing to do and gave me a big smile everytime I used it . Hope you get the same buzz :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
not getting any younger Kev, decide that a cheap and cheerful fun project should be the order of the day . A wee bit delayed with progress as the source of the series 3 landy parts is away for the bank holiday .. Its the wifes Bday on Wednesday so no progress there but come next week everything will have settled down again and I will focus on collecting the parts.

The trailer belongs to the same fella , I will keep the trailer as a ransom LOL..

I think doing a wee bit more stuff like this will get more cars on the road rather than being bogged down with an expensive build .. Ive got a couple of them on the back burner lol..

Cal look late bug sounds cool ..

was just putting the last wee finishing touches to the buddies 30 coupe , so tats about ready to go back to him .

A wee shift around and I can crack on with the landy thing .. trying to think what it should be called when its done .. :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts